4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2015 11:52 PM by arvil

FileMaker Pro 14 users

arvil

Hi!

I worked through FileMaker 14 Basics Training Series, and now I have some questions before I proceed.

Question 1.

It looks, like I have to register in database every user, who may use this database. Is it so? Or can I determine Domain User  Group(s), members of which are allowed to use the database and the rights they will have there?

Our current policy is, that all rights to any programs are determined by Domain User groups mainly (there are couple of programs with 2 - 3 users which are exception from this rule due program design).

I foresee, that some possible applications will have couple hundreds of possible users (all our Domain Users, who will use WebDirect from our LAN through browser - and no users from outside at all), and when we have to manage them all for several applications, then it will be insane! Or I have to make in such cases an user without any password and hope, that there will be not too many occasions, where several users want use the database simultaneously?

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro 14 users
          wimdecorte

arvil wrote:

Or can I determine Domain User  Group(s), members of which are allowed to use the database and the rights they will have there?

Yes you can. It is called "external authentication".  The role is expressed in the FM privilege set.  You create as many as there are roles in your solution.  Then you can specify which domain group gets what privilege set.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro 14 users
            electon

With FileMaker Server you can use External Authentication. Either Active or Open Directory.

It's a deeper subject, but basically the idea is that in filemaker security panel you create accounts named as the groups which are defined in you directory that are allowed to connect. You also need to assign an appropriate privilege set for those accounts in filemaker.

The account you create should have the option Account is authenticated via: set to External Server.

The machine where the server runs needs to be configured to access the Directory Domain.

Look up the documentation, as there's more to find out: like the order of authentication etc.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro 14 users
              wimdecorte

You can find a pretty good Tech Brief here: FileMaker Technical Briefs | FileMaker

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro 14 users
                arvil

Thanks to all!

The ansvers were a relief