2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2015 8:04 AM by BowdenData

Did multi-user processing change?

aldevron

Hello,

We're working on an internal system with FileMaker 13. Our last project was in FM12. We're seeing different behavior with multi-user processing. In earlier versions, we'd see this behavior:

User A would start editing a field value.

As soon as User B moved the insertion point into that field, they would get a message indicating the record was locked.

With FM 13, User B is only notified that the field was locked if they attempt to change the field's value at the exact same time that User A is changing the field's value. The locking doesn't seem to be as strict as it was before.

Is this a known change in behavior? Is there some way to control how strict FileMaker is with its lock warnings?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 1. Re: Did multi-user processing change?
          coherentkris

I would hazard a guess that record locking has not changed but they may have tweaked when the dialog is thrown. Kind of makes sense to me to only throw the dialog when actual edit data attempt takes place.

• 2. Re: Did multi-user processing change?
            BowdenData

Search the FM knowledge base for changes in FM13 as I think I recall that there was a small change. I know that there is no control over this.

I want to say that the second user doesn't get notified unless they actually attempt to make an edit. I  am pretty certain that both users don't have to be editing at the same exact time. Once User A makes an actual change to a field, the record is locked.

Imagine the scenario where User B clicks into a field for the purpose of selecting the value to copy to the clipboard. They aren't changing the field value in the locked record, so why bother them with a potentially confusing message.

Doug

Sent from my iPhone