1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2015 10:04 PM by CarstenLevin

Duplicate and paste

siplus

Layout mode.

- I duplicate an item

it defaults to a hardcoded shift of + 9 pixels on x and y.

Are you happy with it ?

- I paste something

It defaults to centering the enchilada where I clicked (inevitably asking for extending the layout).

Are you happy with it ?

- What would you expect / what is correct, voice your opinion.

• 1. Re: Duplicate and paste
          Extensitech

- I duplicate an item

it defaults to a hardcoded shift of + 9 pixels on x and y.

Are you happy with it ?

I like that it offsets it a bit, so I can see it duplicated.

I also like that if you move the duplicated item, and duplicate it again, it'll get the offset between item 1 and 2

I do wish that if the duplicate, but either of these rules, would cause the layout to extend, it would offset somewhere else rather than asking me if I want to resize my layout.

- I paste something

It defaults to centering the enchilada where I clicked (inevitably asking for extending the layout).

Are you happy with it ?

This makes sense, but it's awfully hard to predict. I think I'd rather it placed the pasted object with the upper left corner being where I clicked. Fantasy wish list, though.

Curious to see what others think.

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 2. Re: Duplicate and paste
            marthazink

I do like the separation Extensitech mentioned. Makes it obvious something was duplicated. I usually opt for option-drag (Mac) to duplicate it where I want it to go.

Generally speaking, I find pasting frustrating. I tend to only do that when it's across layouts, but not within the same layout.

• 3. Re: Duplicate and paste
              siplus

30 years ago, the 1986 manual of QuarkXpress (*) explains how to

- Duplicate = duplicate in place

- Duplicate special = create n copies, offset a px on x and b px on y via a modal dialog.

can I haz, after 30 yrz  ?

(*) can scan and post if needed, it's in the memories zone of my library.

• 4. Re: Duplicate and paste
                siplus

Immagine a simple parameter in preferences: "when duplicate, offset [   ] pixels."

You set it to 20, I set it to 0 , we both happy.

• 5. Re: Duplicate and paste
                  Benjamin Fehr

Extensitech

Don't have to do much brainwork today since you already gave the right answers.

I appreciate that duplicate duplicate trick.

That paste behavior would be better solved as mentioned top/let position.

When doing complex layout works (grouping, layering) I usually make notes like 20/115 for Top/Left Coordinates.

This can be questioned for the arabic-market with writing from right-to-left

• 6. Re: Duplicate and paste
                    Benjamin Fehr

Since graphic and design is one of the core values with FileMaker, FMP21 will look like Photoshop

I've sent this in as a feature request:

Graphic Layers with option to activate/deactivate

• 7. Re: Duplicate and paste
                      siplus

See, if the offset were 10 pixels instead of 9 (still sux because I should be in control of that offset and not Filemaker, decide it's 0 px or 50 px but ok), I could edit the position of the duplicated item (Inspector), on the 487 I select the 8, make it a 7, hit enter and I'm happy. With 9 pixels, I have to wake up my single neuron, feed him 487 - 9 and wait for the result, then select the whole field and type the whole result before hitting enter.

What happens actually is : I change the 8 into 7, do the same on y, hit enter, click the header to go out of the inspector panel remaining with the object selected, then hit left arrow and down arrow... finally now I can hit cmd-D n times to get what QuarkXpress gave me 30 years ago with a modal dialog and a click on OK.

• 8. Re: Duplicate and paste
                        erolst

siplus wrote:

to get what QuarkXpress gave me 30 years ago with a modal dialog and a click on OK.

It also let you do arithmetic with numeric values in palettes, to give your neurons even more relaxation …

• 9. Re: Duplicate and paste
                          siplus

The peace of senses given me by the simplicity of Filemaker's preferences - Layout options .- is priceless.

So simple, so easy... why worry.

These things have always been the same, so why worry now...

ExtremelyComplexLayoutPrefs.png

• 10. Re: Duplicate and paste
                            Extensitech

Oh, man, don't get me started on default settings! (OK, you already did.)

How often have you actually wanted to pause on entering find mode? Or perform a sort with dialog? Or go to next portal row/record without exiting after last? Or go to layout by calculation with dialog? (I mean, didn't I just tell you where we're going?)

And I especially like how "Add newly defined fields..." which is on by default merrily adds new fields to my (carefully sized) body part on the layout and completely hoses my layout. (I do mean on the layout, btw; I wish my actual body size were so carefully controlled!)

I have more, of course, but they're petty annoyances. OTOH, FMI should take note of how really minor changes could make developers like me giddy.

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 11. Re: Duplicate and paste
                              siplus

Windows minesweeper.

Preferences.

More choices than filemaker 14.

VistaOptions.jpg

• 12. Re: Duplicate and paste
                                Markus Schneider

when it comes to default settings / preferences..

- preferences that can only be changed in a local version )-:

- one has to make sure that the changes are *written* to the file (ie window size, default layout, )

- the quotes... in the german version, those default quotes won't let You do some of the search options

- units in the measurement palette.... can't be changed when the file is on the server (only for the session)

- much more

• 13. Re: Duplicate and paste
                                  Markus Schneider

what was not mentioned here: In 14, we have the 'constraint drag&copy' back! Alt-drag will copy an object, with shift only horizontally/vertically (as in older versions)

• 14. Re: Duplicate and paste
                                    siplus

wow, didn't know about that. Been doing it always ofc, cursed because it did not deliver, if it's back I'm going to open a bottle of Graticciaia. And maybe start using 14 a bit more.

1 2 Previous Next