1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2015 10:19 PM by Fred(CH)

Kind of an open letter - what's about forums?

Markus Schneider

Every day the same, for months! Spammers! Started IMHO before easter..

- at the moment, there are ~384 spam postings in one of the forums of forums.filemaker.com ('Go forum')

then:

- with iPad's, one can not post because the captcha window doesn't appear on iOS. One posting a day for all of the forums (then, captcha..)

- with iPad's it's impossible to edit a posting

- with iPad's, one can't go 'back' after writing the single posting, navigation missing

this spamming is *no* reputation. With such forums, *every* discussion about security becomes obsolete. Spammers began to add comments to existing postings lately. It's just a question of time until a trojan appears )-:

at the moment, there is even no feature request page anymore*. Means no issue reports with iPad's, no feature requests - as one wrote over there: FMI became deaf...

Please, dear folks at FileMaker: Do something to keep those forums alive! I believe that there are some kind souls who delete all of the spams by hand. There seem to be no way to block IP's, users, etc. The level of spamming is really way too much!

Thank You so much!

* one kind soul (TSGal) notes the feature requests when she gots them via messenger

(got a screenshot from the 'go forum')

• 2. Re: Kind of an open letter - what's about forums?
          Markus Schneider

Check the numbers on the bottom of the page (screenshot) - almost 400 postings at that time.. somebody deleted the postings - this morning: Again

It seems that the folks over there are aware of the risk - there is an answer with a warning because of possible malware

)-:

image.jpg

• 3. Re: Kind of an open letter - what's about forums?
            intex

we had the same spamming here in the community too and it took until morning in California to get rid of this. I think a company dealing worldwide has to keep an eye on their forums 24/7.

• 4. Re: Kind of an open letter - what's about forums?
              Markus Schneider

yes - I know. But: On forums.filemaker.com, we have this spamming now for months! It started before easter this year. Every day, a couple of times a day.

I'm just afraid that forums.filemaker.com will die...

• 5. Re: Kind of an open letter - what's about forums?
                schamblee

All of the moves from FMI makes me worried that FMI is heading in the wrong way. 

Kill runtimes

Overlook forums mess.

Put on market undeveloped FMS14

FMS14 not supported on Windows 8

Kill Feature Request -  The message I get is why listen to customer when you are not going to be here.

Maybe the writing is on the wall and maybe why big time developer left.

I don't understand FM.

• 6. Re: Kind of an open letter - what's about forums?
                  taylorsharpe

Kill runtimes

Overlook forums mess.

Put on market undeveloped FMS14

FMS14 not supported on Windows 8

Kill Feature Request -  The message I get is why listen to customer when you are not going to be here.

Schamblee, I do have a few comments. 

Runtimes fit a niche that is becoming irrelevant as it is expected that databases now are networked.  This feature came out and was very useful in the 90's when FM was more often a stand alone solution.  Runtimes inherently are not cross platform like a WebDirect solution and FM has put its money where the technology market is going. 

Forum mess... there are some problem to clean up, but I don't find it all that terrible.  If I did, I wouldn't make use of it.  Room for improvement, but not terrible. 

I'm not sure what you mean by market undeveloped FMS14, but it was beta tested a long time before being released and I've found it to be very stable.  I've installed it on many machines and none of them have crashed on me. 

Regarding FMS14 not working on Windows 8, you have to understand OS platforms.  FMS is a service designed to run on server operating systems and not a desktop operating systems like Windows 7 or Windows 8, etc.  In the past you could run it on some desktop OS's, but that was never a preferred setup.  You really do best when you match the right OS with the service you need to run it on.  Just because you "can" on a desktop OS does not mean it ever was a good idea or will give you the best results. 

I guess I don't understand what your "Kill Feature Request" is about.  Obviously we all want to be heard by FileMaker and I find it frustrating when I make feature requests and don't receive feedback.  But the world does not revolve around each of us personally and FileMaker does provide feedback through various sources including the upcoming Devcon.  I don't think FM is any worse at feedback than say Microsoft. 

We will miss Tim, but all software technologies have people coming and going between them.  I wish Tim the best and think it is perfectly acceptable to move in the direction of software he has a passion to work on even if it is not FileMaker.  Others leave often without leaving feedback.  I think the feedback is useful and I agree with some of it and I'm sure some of his points made it back to FM for consideration internally.  But certainly do not agree with some things Tim concluded and many of those points were made from a perspective of someone abandoning a platform and not so useful for those of us moving forward with it.  I still see more new people getting excited about FileMaker than leaving. 

Hopefully you can make Devcon.  It is always a fun time to get pumped about all the creative ways people are using FM. 

• 7. Re: Kind of an open letter - what's about forums?
                    schamblee

Filemakers runtimes is a niche because it is crap.   I am also a FoxPro developer.  FoxPro runtime is 10000000 times better than Filemaker's and Microsoft stop development in 2009.  Only FM is single user.   All other are not.  FoxPro is not and most other databases are not single users.   Not every customer needs cross platform, mine don't need it.  Most of my clients are 1 to 3 users and are on PCs.   I also have clients that are in rural areas that do not have internet. No webdirect for them.  Not everyone wants their data in the cloud.  Can't be hacked if it is not connected to the web.

Forum.   The proof is there.  I've not seen that kind of problems on smaller companies forums.    It not very impressive that a computer companies, computer system is hacked all the time.   It looks bad.    If I was going to buy a new car and I seen a certain brand sitting at the repair shop everyday.   I would not purchase that brand. 

FMS14  the SSL license issue was just fixed in the last update (two days ago).  This should have been fixed in beta.  That is like selling a car with a hole in the gas tank.  It will work some.  

You are incorrect about Windows 7 & Windows 8. I was referring to Windows 8 Professional, which can handle 5 client easily.   If FMS is up to par, then why would you need the server operating system of windows.   Hardware is not the issue, because you can build a pc any way you like.

I can't speak for anyone else, but If I made most of my living (money) from a product (Over 20 years) I'm not going to jump ship unless I'm afraid I'm not going to keep making the same money.    It takes time and money to start over.  I know it would have to be a very good reason for me to jump ship and start over.

Just an example.  I subscribed to a computer mag several years ago.   I would get the mag a month in advance, so I would get June's in May and so on.   Well, they came out and stated they were skipping a month so the mag would sit on the shelf longer.  I don't remember which month it was, but they didn't have that months issue. I then started getting my mag in the same month. June in June, then they said they were changing publishers, so I got a duplicated of one months for the next months issue, so now I'm a month behind.   Well, the crap continues.  A little while later my mag is a month and a half later coming in, so I call. They make up crap about it being shipping, so they gave me a free digital subscription.  Then they went out of business. No mag, no refunds.   My point is when companies start doing these kind of things then it does not look good.  

I'm hoping they will fits these issue and make FM the great software it can be.  I'm just worry that there are some problems somewhere.

• 8. Re: Kind of an open letter - what's about forums?
                      taylorsharpe
                      Filemakers runtimes is a niche because it is crap.   I am also a FoxPro developer.  FoxPro runtime is 10000000 times better than Filemaker's and Microsoft stop development in 2009.  Only FM is single user.   All other are not.  FoxPro is not and most other databases are not single users.   Not every customer needs cross platform, mine don't need it.  Most of my clients are 1 to 3 users and are on PCs.   I also have clients that are in rural areas that do not have internet. No webdirect for them.  Not everyone wants their data in the cloud.  Can't be hacked if it is not connected to the web.

FileMaker has not invested in the run times in probably a decade and it basically has been deprecated a long time ago and they kept it as long as they didn't have to make any other changes.  You are a bit dismissive about the Cloud.  Whether you like it or not, it really is where the future of IT database technology is headed and if you want to move in the current direction of business, it is not in runtimes.  But FileMaker has made it clear that its technology is not going to invest in runtimes anymore.  For a few people, this means they will have to change technologies or move towards Cloud technologies like WebDirect and CWP. 

Forum.   The proof is there.  I've not seen that kind of problems on smaller companies forums.    It not very impressive that a computer companies, computer system is hacked all the time.   It looks bad.    If I was going to buy a new car and I seen a certain brand sitting at the repair shop everyday.   I would not purchase that brand.

So noted, and I'm sure FM staff who read this are working on improving this, especially the spam posts.  But I still find it functional and meets my needs. 

FMS14  the SSL license issue was just fixed in the last update (two days ago).  This should have been fixed in beta.  That is like selling a car with a hole in the gas tank.  It will work some. 

Yes, and it is the only bug I am aware of in the server side of things.  FM had a solution to use a Demo license until they got the patch out, which they did within a couple of weeks of becoming aware of this.  While no bugs are welcome, it was not a bug that resulted in erroneous data or crashes.  It was a licensing bug that effected some licenses, but not all, and fixed rather quickly.

You are incorrect about Windows 7 & Windows 8. I was referring to Windows 8 Professional, which can handle 5 client easily.   If FMS is up to par, then why would you need the server operating system of windows.   Hardware is not the issue, because you can build a pc any way you like.

Windows 8 Professional is not a server operating system, is a Client Operating System.  Microsoft calls a server operating system a "Network Operating System".  There are many differences including the tuning of many things in the OS for service optimization and stability verses tuning for optimization of application performance.  It is far beyond the discussion I can cover here, but FileMaker Service is designed for a Server OS and not a Client OS.  FM has stated in its tech specs that while in the past you could use a Client OS, it should be for testing and development purposes and not for production.  As a professional developer, you should not recommend clients us a Client OS for a server service... any server service and not just FMS. 

I can't speak for anyone else, but If I made most of my living (money) from a product (Over 20 years) I'm not going to jump ship unless I'm afraid I'm not going to keep making the same money.    It takes time and money to start over.  I know it would have to be a very good reason for me to jump ship and start over.

Well, I hope the loyalty is because you believe in the product.  If it changes and if it isn't going in the direction you have a passion for, at some point you should make a move like Tim did.  FM is not the solution to all problems nor is it the best software for all solutions.  However, it fits most of the needs I have as a database solution tool I need for my clients in ways that I find very impressive.  If you decide at some point to jump ship, it doesn't make either you or FileMaker bad... it just means going in different directions. 

Are you going to Devcon?  It is always a fun conference to get reinspired on what all can be done in FM and see the future direction of the software. 

I'm hoping they will fits these issue and make FM the great software it can be.  I'm just worry that there are some problems somewhere.

There are things FM needs to address and it is the nature of a software company to continually be working on improvements.  What I look for is to see if a company is maintaining its sales, its expenditures on R&D, new versions are regularly coming out, and they are not cutting back frequently on employees.  In other words, I look for a healthy company.  It is a bit hard to tell on FM sometimes since they are a subsidiary of Apple and the books are not open to the public in the way they are for the parent corporation.  What would worry me is if I were to see signs of FM not being a good stable business.  Even if they have great software, if they rest on their laurels and cut back staff and don't come out with new versions, etc., I would become a lot more interested in looking at other directions.  Some of the staff cut backs this past year caught my attention and it was a bit of a red flag.  But for now, FM seems healthy enough and I like their current direction for my needs. 

• 9. Re: Kind of an open letter - what's about forums?
                        Fred(CH)

Runtimes fit a niche that is becoming irrelevant 

Hum, here, i have to friendly disagree with you Taylor. Sounds like you did not follow the long discussion about it few weeks ago and if so, lucky you are :-) If it proved one thing, it was the fact that Runtime usage cannot be evaluated easily, for very good reasons, and was by the way misevaluated by FMI. At least, if you red their own answer, it was easy to understand.

• 10. Re: Kind of an open letter - what's about forums?
                          CarstenLevin

To Schamblee (and others),

Markus created a tread about one issue, the forum. But soon after people who prefer Fox Pro (peace be with it and them) and other people like Schamblee on purpose hijack the thread and turn it into chaos.

If you want, create other threads with your issues. Do not try to kill questions or discussions by wrecking havoc to them.

Best regards

Carsten

• 11. Re: Kind of an open letter - what's about forums?
                            Fred(CH)

I couldn't resist to answer to Taylor. But the fact is this post was clearily about a specific forum problem and not all other issues which can occur with FM or FMI. Moreover, It is a recurrent problem here : you almost cannot post about a problem, even to just warn fellow members, without provoking this kind of reaction.

• 12. Re: Kind of an open letter - what's about forums?
                              Benjamin Fehr

mschneider

I wonder why I'm not affected by those spams, currently. What I do:

- not using iOS-Devices to visit this forum (I agree with all yours complaints about iPad usability)

- visiting the Bug-Report Forum

- visiting the FMI-Community Forum

I see! I've never visited that dedicated 'FM' Forum before.

Hell !!!

How possible that FMI get's control over spamming on one part of the Forum but not on the others?!

• 13. Re: Kind of an open letter - what's about forums?
                                CarstenLevin

Yes, and while I have to admit that my writing about this issue is also a kind of "hijack", we need to stop this bad behaviour.
                                It is very odd that people have to show their anger and aggressions about topics that are irrelevant in a given context.

• 14. Re: Kind of an open letter - what's about forums?
                                  Markus Schneider

I used to follow the 'Go' and the 'Server' forums - but they are 'dead' for me now. Anyway - I really appreciate the efforts by the FMStaff to delete every single spam - but that's not the way it should be done (manually deleting spams).

SInce during morning (Switzerland) hours there are hundreds of spam postings, I believe that there are only one or two kind souls from the US (timezone...) who are doing this job.

I started this thread because

- customers called last week and asked me if FMI is about to leave the business

- as a former admin of other forums, I *do know* that there's a real danger to get links to malware sites, sooner or later..

One won't recognize those problems when one visits the forums just after the garbage collection - but check the timestamps of the last activity - if there are gaps...

One won't recognize the iPad problems when one doesn't work on iPads

I really appreciate Stacy's first posting - no matter if postings turned the wrong direction IMHO afterwards, no need for another complaining thread (-:

1 2 Previous Next