1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2015 1:24 PM by wfgclapp

How to log user opens w/new keychain save?

wfgclapp

I want to log how many times a day a user opens a file from FM Go14. All is working fine except that with the (wonderful) new 'Save to Keychain' feature of Go14, the user never seems to 'log out'. So I'm logging that the user opened the file once a day whereas he might have gone to the app several times during the day.

My logging is occurring on a scrip trigger of 'OnFirstWindowOpen'

I want to define a single use as the user tapping on the Go14 app from the phone home screen. Any thoughts how to interpret this in FM?

Thanks much!

• 1. Re: How to log user opens w/new keychain save?
          techt

We track users the same way. The way we get around this is we check for a record in the user log table to see if they have a record without a logout time. If found, we don't create a new record.

HTH,

Tim

• 2. Re: How to log user opens w/new keychain save?
            wfgclapp

How do you define logging out?

• 3. Re: How to log user opens w/new keychain save?
              techt

We actually put a button on the main layout both for desktop and iPad users. It's linked to a script that finds their "open" time log (user log without a stop time). The client in turn uses this as the employees timesheet. If they don't clock out at some point, then they don't get paid for that day. The client decided that was the best way to keep everyone motivated.

Tim

• 4. Re: How to log user opens w/new keychain save?
                wfgclapp

Shoot. I don't think a 'log out' button will work for us.

• 5. Re: How to log user opens w/new keychain save?
                  techt

A couple of other options. Decrease the idle time so they are automatically logged off, say if they haven't used it in fifteen minutes. Another is to have a server-side script that logs them out after a period of time.

Would either of those work?

TT

• 6. Re: How to log user opens w/new keychain save?
                    electon

Altho the 1984 method is not a bad way to accomplish this , going for the pocket is a proven method in history...

I don't know if it's possible to access the event that triggered bringing the app to focus. Highly unlikely, I might be wrong.

We have the OnGestureTap script trigger.

I'd set up a global variable that tracks the last time the event occurred in miliseconds.

It depends on what the solution does. If there's little interaction then it may be not feasible.

But if the user interacts, guessing at the interval might help figure out if they are using the solution.

It's up to the math to log user as active or not, based on the intervals.

• 7. Re: How to log user opens w/new keychain save?
                      electon

techt wrote:

A couple of other options. Decrease the idle time so they are automatically logged off, say if they haven't used it in fifteen minutes. Another is to have a server-side script that logs them out after a period of time.

Would either of those work?

TT

Decreasing the idle time could work. All depends on how the other users are affected.

In the privilege set you can either enable or disable it. Users that have the option disabled will never be disconnected by the server.

Anyway, even without the keychain enabled the user will need to re-authenticate according to how it's set up and no OnFirstWindowOpen scripts were fired. So the topic is a bit misleading.

• 8. Re: How to log user opens w/new keychain save?
                        wfgclapp

Might. I'll try.

• 9. Re: How to log user opens w/new keychain save?
                          wfgclapp

Hmmm...interestingly this (decreasing idle time) does not work. The user (if not saved in keychain) will have to enter his credentials again to login but this does not trip the OnWindowFirstOpen trigger. I thought it would have.

• 10. Re: How to log user opens w/new keychain save?
                            wfgclapp

electon wrote:

We have the OnGestureTap script trigger.

I'd set up a global variable that tracks the last time the event occurred in miliseconds.

It depends on what the solution does. If there's little interaction then it may be not feasible.

But if the user interacts, guessing at the interval might help figure out if they are using the solution.

It's up to the math to log user as active or not, based on the intervals.

this is a good thought. I'll look into it.

• 11. Re: How to log user opens w/new keychain save?
                              electon

Forgive me for asking an obvious question.

Did you change the idle time or the fmpreauthenticate[] setting.

The server should kick the users off when idle time has passed and force them to reopen the file.

Unless the state of hibernation of FMGo does not count as idle and informs the server before going to sleep.

As I stated above, OnFirstWindowOpen will not fire if the user only re-authenticates. I'll test it on my server.

• 12. Re: How to log user opens w/new keychain save?
                                wfgclapp

electon wrote:

Forgive me for asking an obvious question.

Did you change the idle time or the fmpreauthenticate[] setting.

The server should kick the users off when idle time has passed and force them to reopen the file.

Unless the state of hibernation of FMGo does not count as idle and informs the server before going to sleep.

As I stated above, OnFirstWindowOpen will not fire if the user only re-authenticates. I'll test it on my server.

Thank you but no need to ask forgiveness. I'm a newb.

My privilege setting is fmpreauthenticate[10].  I let a client under that privilege set time out and when I opened Go back up and went to my file, I was asked to enter credentials, as expected. But apparently that does not count as a FirstWindowOpen. I also watch in server and when the 10 minutes is up, I see the user disappear from the 'Clients' list of logged in devices.

Clearly I just don't understand this trigger fully. I'm going to try your idea of using a global variable. That should easily suffice for what I'm looking for. I'm not interested in exact precision, just a general sense of how many times they look at the app.

• 13. Re: How to log user opens w/new keychain save?
                                  electon

There is another setting in the server admin console. This really kicks the users off.

You can set it to minimum 10 minutes, and it must be enabled at the privilege set level too, usually is by default.

Screen Shot 2015-06-25 at 20.46.38.png

• 14. Re: How to log user opens w/new keychain save?
                                    wfgclapp

Well, I thought this was what we were talking about already. I already have my server set up like your screenshot and my privilege set is set as follows...

1 2 Previous Next