3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2015 11:00 AM by erolst

FileMaker 14 pie chart problem

dburnham

I don't know if I am confronting a bug in FileMaker 14 or just doing something wrong. This is the simplest pie chart I have ever tried to create and it won't behave like I expect.

I have one table with one record that is connected to a "clients" table with a cartesian join to view all records.  In the clients table, there are 245 records.  There is a field called "status".  In that field, 237 records have the value "active" and 8 records have the value "inactive".    Two calculation fields confirm to me the count of the values for active and inactive clients.

I expect my pie chart to show me a very thin slice representing the inactive records, but instead I am seeing a pie chart like the attached screen shot.  it's as if the pie is giving me a representation of the field's INDEX rather than the records themselves.

Curiously, when I change the graph from a pie to a bar graph and use the counts as 2 series of plotted bars, it works just fine.

I don't get it, and I wonder if there is something in FM-14 that is out of control.

• 1. Re: FileMaker 14 pie chart problem
          erolst

You need this setting:

Screen Shot 2015-06-28 at 07.40.04.png

As slice data, use a summary field that counts a guaranteed non-empty field (say, the primary key).

In essence, use the same ingredients as for a sub-summary report, but using related fields.

• 2. Re: FileMaker 14 pie chart problem
            dburnham

Just one question:  the summary field can only count one of the values.  The pie chart allows you to point to only one field.  If you have several values that you want displayed in the pie, how does one summary field yield a pie that displays, let's say, a half dozen values.

For example, if you were displaying a pie chart with the population of each of the 50 US states, you would want to see 50 slices.  You would have 50 related records, each with a value in the field "population". 

Are you saying that you create a summary field that summarizes population and then tell the pie chart to sort by state?

• 3. Re: FileMaker 14 pie chart problem
              erolst

dburnham wrote:

Are you saying that you create a summary field that summarizes population and then tell the pie chart to sort by state?

In this example, you'd select the option “Individual record data”. Since you're not summarizing, sorting is optional.