1 2 3 Previous Next 61 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2016 5:10 AM by binu.alexander

SVG graphics in Layouts

taylorsharpe

I've had fun playing with SVGs for button icons, and really like that they are vector graphics and resolution independent. 

One thing that is curious is that while I can use an SVG in a button, I cannot import an SVG into a layout.  I know most browsers now support the SVG format and obviously WebDirect doesn't have a problem displaying them in buttons.  I wonder why FM did not include SVG as one of the supported graphics to import into a layout?

• 1. Re: SVG graphics in Layouts
          hherbst

Hi, that's why I'm using vector PDF a lot since FM12.

In FM12 it was even possible to have mouse over and mouse down behavior on graphic objects. This was cut by FM in 13 again so I have a transparent PDF in front and a button with coloring and mouse over behind in 13 (of course not working in WD).

FM14 has changed that again with SVG added to buttons.

So I suppose we'll see SVG support in FM15?! Can't be far off technically seen.

Holger

• 2. Re: SVG graphics in Layouts
            siplus

Probably because svg is not a graphic format, it's just the recipe for drawing a graphic on the screen. But I do fully second your wondering.

Let's talk about sizes:

Pure SVG, not importable: 1051 bytes

PDF, as suggested: 19'443 bytes

EPS: 527085 bytes

* Importable

• 3. Re: SVG graphics in Layouts
              hherbst

I suppose that depends on

- graphics software and it's export filters

- colorscheme

- ???

in my experience for just vector output transparent/no background and one color for fills it's 1:2,5 SVG to PDF

I'm working with iDraw after 20 years of using Canvas, still have to get used to it

• 4. Re: SVG graphics in Layouts
                Karen

iDraw! Will have to check that out. I haven't upgraded Illustrator in a while, so I've be playing with Intaglio. Doesn't handle as well as AI. That's a pun, BTW.

• 5. Re: SVG graphics in Layouts
                  seanwalsh

siplus wrote:

Probably because svg is not a graphic format,

Yes it is. It's just not a rasterized format.

• 6. Re: SVG graphics in Layouts
                    Karen

I'm actually pleased to see SVG is not unlike PostScript, which I learned (somewhat) to edit in the olden days.

Non-bitmap (pixel) graphic formats are called object-oriented, and are pixel/device independent. It was just (encapsulate) PostScript, and some obscure typesetting systems decades ago.

The thrill behind device-independance is that is the artwork you draw to fit on a dime can be sized up to a billboard with no loss of quality.

You will want to be concerned with rule weight ('horsey' when enlarged and then too thick), and negative space (elements blend together when shrunk, and detail will be lost).

Dang I miss being an artist sometimes. Too bad no money in it.

• 7. Re: SVG graphics in Layouts
                      siplus

seanwalsh wrote:

siplus wrote:

Probably because svg is not a graphic format,

Yes it is. It's just not a rasterized format.

you can't eat a recipe that explains how to prepare spaghetti carbonara. You can only eat the product.

Therefore the recipe is not a meal, and svg is not a graphic format.

• 8. Re: SVG graphics in Layouts
                        erolst

siplus wrote:

seanwalsh wrote:

Therefore the recipe is not a meal

Ce n'est pas une format graphique?

(Pardon my French … )

But you could try:

Consume ( Evaluate ( $recipe ) )

• 9. Re: SVG graphics in Layouts
                          siplus

erolst wrote:

But you could try:

Consume ( Evaluate ( $recipe ) )

Substitute("Consume ( Evaluate ( $recipe ) )"; "Evaluate"; "Prepare") will work, ofc

• 10. Re: SVG graphics in Layouts
                            seanwalsh

@siplus Your free to think otherwise that doesn't negate the fact that SVG is a graphic format. The only way it wouldn't be is if you have a narrow definition of a graphic being a rasterized image.

The underlining code is different but that doesn't mean it isn't a graphic. All formats have different underlining code. These are made up of open and proprietary formats and include both rasterized and vector based formats. Building off your example they all have different recipes but they end up with visual element. Your confusing the recipe (code to generate) with the end result (a graphic). If you open an SVG in a text editor you can see the code clearly because it's XML based. You can open -- not place -- any other graphic format in a text editor and you see the compiled image code. You are just unable to decipher it because it's encoded.

Heck, it even has Graphic in its name. I have never ever heard any graphic designer, pre-press tech, or anyone else NOT refer to it as a graphic format. You can place it in just about any modern graphics program. It just takes a different editor to edit it. The only different between it and say a JPEG is that one is rasterized and the other isn't. One is a Granny Apple and the other is a Braeburn Apple. But they are still both Apples. There is no way you could convince me or thousands of other graphic designers otherwise.

• 11. Re: SVG graphics in Layouts
                              siplus

seanwalsh wrote:

@siplus Your free to think otherwise that doesn't negate the fact that SVG is a graphic format.

Heck, it even has Graphic in its name.

I guess that changes all and proves me wrong.

SVG me this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Botticelli-primavera.jpg

• 12. Re: SVG graphics in Layouts
                                beverly

SVG is a set of xml definitions of the "image". But it does require an application to be able to translate those definitions into the appearance of a graphic. We happen to have this with the new buttons graphics in FM14. Not so with graphics on the layout.

Think how cool it would be if we had the ability to create "graphics" on-the-fly with SVG within FMP. send in your requests!!

We didn't used to have control of base64, now we do. That works with text and 'graphics'.

Also, if you've ever looked at a PDF in a text editor... lot's of 'code'.

We are getting there, just not there (yet)!

beverly

• 13. Re: SVG graphics in Layouts
                                  seanwalsh

Each graphic format has advantages and trade offs. SVG cannot reproduce that very easily, but it can be done. (Image Formats for the Web – Vector Graphics | Geek Gumbo But that image cannot be scaled without loosing quality. It wouldn't make a good GIF with low color depth either. Doesn't mean that GIF or SVG aren't graphic formats.

• 14. Re: SVG graphics in Layouts
                                    Karen

now, now, we are all just a bunch of zeros and ones deep down.

I'm imaging all our comrades out there exporting the new icons from FM14, dropping them on the desktop, doubling clicking and saying "WTF!?" when it opened in a text editor.

What percentage of non-design FileMaker folk had Adobe Illustrator or any vector graphics application handy before FM14? We'll have to do a show of hands on that Q at DevCon.

I just wish I can see each face as they first encounter the Bézier curve!

I'm assuming that has yet to happen, or SOMEBODY would have found my pun above funny.

Bézier curve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I actually built a real-life bezier curve to explain it back when I taught Illustrator. Maybe I'll bring it to DevCon.

1 2 3 Previous Next