1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2015 3:51 AM by wimdecorte

Filemaker Server 14 highly unstable ... Any one else facing the same ?

binu.alexander

In the last 2 weeks , I have had to re install Filemaker Server 14 more than 5 times.  

I am using a high spec ,  server grade machine  with 32GB RAM and  10MBps  line   running on Windows Server 2012 R2

• Databases seem to disappear from admin console and return after some time
      • FM Pro 14 Crashing often .
      • Webdirect stops working for some time and starts working after some time , gives 'communication error' and some other errors intermittently . Sometimes works flawlessly   and comes back up without any  tinkering .
      • Users get disconnected more often than when we were on FM server 13

Finally got it to be somewhat stable .  Just reinstalled every time   as  I couldnt really point out where the issue was .

Just thought I'd post this here and see if others also have face similar issues ?

• 1. Re: Filemaker Server 14 highly unstable ... Any one else facing the same ?
          mikebeargie

nope, two installs under my belt and both have run without issues for weeks.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Server 14 highly unstable ... Any one else facing the same ?
            wimdecorte

binu.alexander wrote:

In the last 2 weeks , I have had to re install Filemaker Server 14 more than 5 times. 

I am using a high spec ,  server grade machine  with 32GB RAM and  10MBps  line   running on Windows Server 2012 R2

• Webdirect stops working for some time and starts working after some time , gives 'communication error' and some other errors intermittently . Sometimes works flawlessly   and comes back up without any  tinkering .
            • Users get disconnected more often than when we were on FM server 13

Finally got it to be somewhat stable .  Just reinstalled every time   as  I couldnt really point out where the issue was .

Just thought I'd post this here and see if others also have face similar issues ?

I think you're taking the sledge-hammer approach by reinstalling.  I think you'd be better served with some troubleshooting and monitoring (see Siplus' link).

If files disappear from the admin console: could just be an admin console issue, not a database server issue.  Unless you find evidence in the logs that FMS itself crashes and that the files are closed?

FMP crashing: typically has nothing to do with server.

WebD: that could be trick, but again, the logs are your best friend here because they will point you to what is going.

User disconnected: check the event log and the stats logs.  If it already happened a lot in 13, that would point to a network issue more than a FMS issue.  FMS14 is actually a lot more network reselient; do the users get the "reconnect" option at all?

• 4. Re: Filemaker Server 14 highly unstable ... Any one else facing the same ?
              bertrand

I use FM 14 Pro Advanced and Server on two différent Macs and I've not experimented crash.

I had some difficulties to get server running due to two macs running server with the same license on the same network. The result of a test server on my computer before running it on the Mac server.

Since that problem resumed, I modifiy a big applications on a Mac (2 bases, 80 tables, 145 layouts, 120 sripts), load on the server and test on the server without any problem.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Server 14 highly unstable ... Any one else facing the same ?
                binu.alexander

reconnect option doesn't work sometimes .... even if it reconnects  FM Pro seems to stall.

In General the Server is behaving fine for the last couple of days !

• 6. Re: Filemaker Server 14 highly unstable ... Any one else facing the same ?
                  wimdecorte

The "reconnect" will only work if the network connection between Pro and Server is working. So the fact that it has been working fine these last few days and the fact that intermittently the Reconnect does not work seems to point at poor network conditions.

Keep an eye on the stats.log and the events.log if it happens again.  Make sure to turn the stats.log on though...

• 8. Re: Filemaker Server 14 highly unstable ... Any one else facing the same ?
                    j.a.marcus

I am having similar issues. I use a remote hosting service on a shared 14 server. In webdirect I am getting intermittent, but frequent hangs ups where the screen turns white and I get the spinning wheel, sometimes for about a minute and other times indefinitely.

I did try uploading the file to a 13 server.  So far, it does appear to be more stable, but there are other display differences on the file.  For example, a button with text set to center justification will display correctly on server 14 but will justify left on server 13. 

Can anyone provide some insight here?  Are there any advantages to using server 14 that I will be missing out on by staying on server 13? 

(Sorry if I am being short on info. If there is any more context needed, Id be happy to provide.)

• 9. Re: Filemaker Server 14 highly unstable ... Any one else facing the same ?
                      wimdecorte

Generally FMS14 is faster than FMS13.  In your case could it be that the cloud host's machine is not up to par or otherwise busy (I'm assuming you don't have a dedicated machine at the cloud host?)

• 10. Re: Filemaker Server 14 highly unstable ... Any one else facing the same ?
                        j.a.marcus

No, it is a shared server. I questioned whether it could be a traffic related issue, but they didn't seem too confident in their answer.  The other thought I had was to try and move it to one of their other FMS14 Servers, but they are much further geographically from me and my customers, so I didnt know how much that would affect things.  Thanks for the reply.

• 11. Re: Filemaker Server 14 highly unstable ... Any one else facing the same ?
                          PointInSpace

We host numerous clients using WebDirect on FileMaker Server 14 here with success.  We run exclusively OS X machines, and always deploy WebDirect on virtual dedicated servers - no shared hosting - as per FileMaker's hardware specifications.  Contact me off directly if you'd like more info on our services and configuration.

- John

• 12. Re: Filemaker Server 14 highly unstable ... Any one else facing the same ?
                            BruceRobertson

Note that tthe FIRST thing Filemaker support will tell you to do is reinstall. Thouh perhaps not multiple reinstalls.

• 13. Re: Filemaker Server 14 highly unstable ... Any one else facing the same ?
                              james.saldana

I agree with wimdecorte. It sounds like you're having intermittent network issues.

Are you behind a corporate network that's using a firewall?

I have two servers; a shared FMS 13 Windows 2008 Server VM (4-Core, 16GB RAM, SANS HD and 10Mbit Internet) and a shared FMS 14 MacPro OS X Sever (2-core, 4GB RAM, SSD HD and 1Gbit Internet). The only significant issues I've had with either always related back to network connectivity such as DNS, latency and firewalls. Bandwidth is rarely an issue other than just being slower over WAN than LAN which is normal with timed-out disconnections due to latency.

Our solution is extremely sensitive to network issues since our servers are in Western Europe and our client machines are in remote locations on satellite connections in places such as Afghanistan. So far the OS X Server VM has proven to far out perform the Windows server due to the SSD HD. In my opinion the SDD HD has a greater impact on performance than the RAM and processor in that order, a world of difference.

How are you accessing your FMS Admin Console?  Via the localhost (127.0.0.1), local IP, public IP or it's domain name myserver.mycompany.com? If you're not experiencing this problem via the localhost then you're definitely having network issues. Do you have direct access to your server or can you remote in to test via the localhost?

• Users get disconnected more often than when we were on FM server 13 .

These all sound like network issues. Have you tired accessing your databases with FileMaker Pro (client) via the localhost on the host machine (install FMP client on the server)? Are your clients accessing your database solutions over LAN and/or WAN? If on LAN are they in the same subnet? Are LAN and WAN users experiencing the same difficulties? Are the WAN users all in remote corporate offices under the same IT department (using the same network topology/methodology)?

If your FMS Admin Console and FMP Client work without interruption via the localhost (127.0.0.1) then I say it's definitely a network issue. In that case you need to determine where the interruption is occurring; at the host machine (dns, dhcp, antivirus that scans network connections), LAN (dns, port-forwarding, dhcp, firewall, or packet sniffer like Fortigate), WAN (dns, port-forwarding, firewall, or packet sniffer like Fortigate). If the issue is occurring over WAN I suggest testing your server by giving it direct access to the internet by placing it directly on a Public IP address (DMZ it outside of the corporate firewall), that should eliminate a myriad LAN issues.

• 14. Re: Filemaker Server 14 highly unstable ... Any one else facing the same ?
                                j.a.marcus

Its definitely not firewall.  It was happening on multiple networks and on multiple machines, both PC and MAC.  Since switching to FMS 13 this morning, I have not had one single hang up.

On the other hand, I learned that FMS 13 doesnt support placeholders, which was really aggravating because I had to manually make a bunch with conditional formatting, and that just bogs down the layouts. 

1 2 Previous Next