1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2016 4:06 AM by binu.alexander

Does anyone have a demo file for Dashboards ?

binu.alexander

I have heard about dashboards and watched some videos on creating them in Filemaker .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycdwBKEiAJQ

Does anyone have a demo file to show what can be done and how it is done ?

• 1. Re: Does anyone have a demo file for Dashboards ?
          ibrahim_bittar

Hi Alexander

I think you need first to segment your audience, I mean, a CEO needs a different dashboard than a Sales Manager or an Accounting Manager.

Once you know who's using the dashboard, next step is to find out what pieces of information are useful for your user.

Any dashboard should include tools to make "drill down". This means to be able to get more detailed information about a part of the dashboard. In big CRM's drilling down comes with several levels, i.e.: drill down the drill down...

Summarizing data in FileMaker is time consuming so you should do this as a server side script, collecting information every hour or every three hours automatically. Your users can have a "Refresh" button that runs a script on server to collect new data.

The rest is adding some creative ways to show data...

• 2. Re: Does anyone have a demo file for Dashboards ?
            binu.alexander

Thanks Ibrahim ,

that is very informative .... Do you have a screenshot  to show how a dashboard looks  ?  Just curious .  The solutions that I have worked with may need something like that for CEOs and organization heads ....

• 4. Re: Does anyone have a demo file for Dashboards ?
              binu.alexander

Thanks but I am looking for dashboard with summary reports , graphs etc

• 5. Re: Does anyone have a demo file for Dashboards ?
                jurijn

Hey!

I am interested in the same topic. Some values (KPI-s for example) or some other stuff can you get with a SQL function.
                Doing it that way you can access some "unrelated" data to the current layout.

In my opinion is the interesting part, how to implement some useful and nice drill-down user experience.

• 6. Re: Does anyone have a demo file for Dashboards ?
                  erolst

As is the case with reports, you should have an idea of what it is you want to display. Then offer a set of controls to parametrize the search/query, and see the result change i (hopefully) real-time, summarized, charted …

Number and type of these controls would depend on your entities, relationships and target audience.

binu.alexander wrote:

Do you have a screenshot  to show how a dashboard looks?

Here's a simple one, using ExecuteSQL() and the Google chart APIScreen Shot 2015-07-04 at 12.15.03.png

• 7. Re: Does anyone have a demo file for Dashboards ?
                    Extensitech
                    I think you need first to segment your audience, I mean, a CEO needs a different dashboard than a Sales Manager or an Accounting Manager.

I don't disagree, but just wanted to add some food for thought.

I generally err on the side of showing the same dashboards, reports, etc. to all users, but changing the scope of the information for the user's roles and privileges. This puts the ceo and the sales manager "on the same sheet of music" even though the ceo might see company-wide data while the sales manager sees only his/her own territory. By keeping this possibility in mind, I've often found that seemingly completely different roles can benefit from using the same dashboards, but with different filters, options, etc.

While this may seem obvious for different levels of the org chart, it's often led to opportunities across departments, too. Consider the dashboard for a purchasing agent. Certainly, the salesperson doesn't need access to the wealth of information you might show to a purchasing agent, but on the other hand it's useful to know the purchasing status related to that salesperson's orders.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with your original statement. Certainly there are some aggregations of data that should be restricted to specific users, or which offer no benefits to certain users, and it often does make sense to compartmentalize those into completely separate interfaces.

By first considering the possibility of beneficial information sharing, though, I've often found opportunities that the client doesn't immediately think of. Asking myself, "Who else could benefit from seeing this data, or some filtered portion of it?", I've often found ways to ensure, for example, that when the ceo complains about sales metrics, the salesperson knows whether the issue is something related to their territory, and what they can do to fix it, and the salesperson and ceo are working off the same metrics.

Just food for thought.

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 8. Re: Does anyone have a demo file for Dashboards ?
                      binu.alexander

why are you using Google Charts  ? Can this not be done using the Filemaker Charts ?

• 9. Re: Does anyone have a demo file for Dashboards ?
                        erolst

binu.alexander wrote:

why are you using Google Charts  ? Can this not be done using the Filemaker Charts ?

Probably; let's just say that the native charting doesn't allow you to set parameters dynamically (say, chart type, or colour scheme).

But the choice of charting engine Isn't really the point here; you wanted to see what a dashboard looks like …

• 10. Re: Does anyone have a demo file for Dashboards ?
                          binu.alexander

Yeah ... Thanks for the screenshot .. I was wondering if dashboards required tools that Filemaker doesn't provide natively

Sent from my iPhone

• 11. Re: Does anyone have a demo file for Dashboards ?
                            erolst

binu.alexander wrote:

I was wondering if dashboards required tools that Filemaker doesn't provide natively

Just as with the origin of that concept (and the name), “the dashboard” can run the full gamut from bare-bones to highly complex. Compare an early Beetle Bug dashboard with the one in modern high-class cars …

And as for the choice of tools: it depends (isn't that always the case?)

I've e.g. found that HTML is great for creating cross-tab reports where the number of columns (tabs) is unknown in advance.

• 12. Re: Does anyone have a demo file for Dashboards ?
                              binu.alexander

After reading all the inputs ... makes me want to see real demo file  all the more ! :

• 13. Re: Does anyone have a demo file for Dashboards ?
                                beverly

"real demo file". was the video not enough? do you need to see the scripts, layouts and fields?  what are you not getting from the comments here? are you asking for someone to do the work for you? you might contact the folks that presented the video and offer to pay for tutoring with your database(s).

• 14. Re: Does anyone have a demo file for Dashboards ?
                                  binu.alexander

Many folks in the community have been kind enough to share demos with stuff that people like me need to learn from . I don't want anyone to do work for me ... just thought I'd ask ... If there was a demo lying around with dashboards just like there are for so many other cool stuff that can be done in Filemaker ..  And if we all had access to personal tutors maybe we wouldn't need a forum like this one

1 2 Previous Next