5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2015 10:02 AM by dburnham

Size of Custom Dialog

dburnham

I found this as an unanswered item in the 2010 archives.  It concerns the size of a Custom Dialog.  When the text does not fit into the Custom Dialog, users see a truncated sentence or paragraph and they seldom know that they have the option to alter the size of the Custom Dialog.

Admittedly, since 2010 we have the new popover feature as a way to circumvent this issue.  We also have the ability to open new windows with advanced features that can make the window modal and behave more like a custom dialog.

However, there are good reasons to use custom dialogs, not the least of which is the ability to quickly script the subsequent steps based on the message choice made by the user.

Therefore, I'd like to revive the request made by someone else in 2010 and add to it as follows:

• Show Custom Dialog should insure that the dialog always opens to present the entire text
      • Alternatively, or in addition, Show Custom Dialog should also allow developers to specify the point of origin (left and top) and the size of the dialog box.  This would place the responsibility for the size and position of the dialog in the hands of the developer.

I am going to post this as a feature request, but if anybody has invented a workaround solution other than popovers and new windows (which take longer to create), I would like to hear about it.

• 1. Re: Size of Custom Dialog
          iconomydk

I totally agree - this has been a problem for a long time.

As it is now, it can only be used for short messages, if you want to be sure that your customer sees everything you have written.

I almost consider it as a bug.

• 2. Re: Size of Custom Dialog
            Mike Duncan

While I like the simplicity of the custom dialog, it is not too difficult to use a popover as a modal dialog. You can hide the button that spawns the popover and use a script trigger to prevent closing if you like as well. This also fits into the single document interface model that FM recommends in order to support the entire platform.

• 3. Re: Size of Custom Dialog
              planteg

I am happy that someone else is annoyed by that. I will also move toward a popup.

Gilles Plante

• 4. Re: Size of Custom Dialog
                dburnham

Lars,

That's a good one!  When my spouse removes $20 from my wallet, I "almost consider" her as a thief.

Dennis

• 5. Re: Size of Custom Dialog
                  dburnham

You're right that it's not too difficult, but it does take more time.  Also, there are still some solutions running for people who have not yet advanced to v.13.   I regret to say that this has been a shortcoming of custom dialogs ever since they graduated beyond "custom message".  Personally, I feel pushed over the edge to make a popover when the number of options exceeds the three available buttons, or when the entry options require value lists or field formats that can't be controlled with the three input fields.

FIleMaker make some improvements to Custom Dialog "bugs" in recent years when the commit option became available for all three buttons.  IMHO, that would have been the time to address the size and position which have been cross-platform complaints going back to version 8.