2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2015 9:57 PM by user19752

What is the height in Points/Pixels for the FileMaker Status Bar and Windows 7 Taskbar?

tm9

Hi,

I am working on a new layout and trying to determine the appropriate point dimensions. I used calculations with get functions to show the heights for the window, desktop height, and the status bar based on my current monitor set to a resolution of 1280 x 1024.

I have three questions.

1. What is the height in points for the FileMaker Status bar when it is shown? My calculation is telling me that all of the combined toolbar and horizontal sliders are 97. Is that correct? From toggling the status bar on and off I am guessing it is 80pts?

2. What is the height of the Windows 7 task bar? (It is currently at the bottom of my screen). I think it is 30 pts/pixels...?

3. This FileMaker article Get(WindowDesktopHeight) states that the Get ( WindowDesktopHeight ) for Windows should return 956 in Windows when there is a single monitor and its MDI is set to 1280 x 1024. The current resolution of my monitor is set to 1280 x 1024, but it is returning 952 instead of 956. Why is this off from what the FileMaker article says and why is this not 1024 as the resolution is set? (Minus the Windows task bar?). The desktop width is returning correctly.

Thank you!

Window Dimensions.JPG

• 1. Re: What is the height in Points/Pixels for the FileMaker Status Bar and Windows 7 Taskbar?
          keywords

There are three separate functions.

Get ( WindowDesktopHeight ) returns for the "desktop space", in other words the maximum available height for a given monitor

Get ( WindowHeight ) returns overall height of the "window on which the script is acting"

Get ( WindowContentHeight ) returns height of the content area within that window

Thus:

1.      the total height of status area, toolbars and bottom of window is Get ( WindowHeight ) – Get ( WindowContentHeight )

2.     Get ( WindowDesktopHeight ) is not relevant to the above, except to define the limit

3.     You should design for the smallest monitor likely to use the DB (no good designing a layout for a 27" monitor if it is to be deployed on a 13" laptop)

• 2. Re: What is the height in Points/Pixels for the FileMaker Status Bar and Windows 7 Taskbar?
            user19752

2. It is depend on users setting, not always have fixed width or height.

3. It is an "Example", then not "should return". MDI means "application window", then rarely same as monitor resolution since usually there is windows task bar, window title bar, window menu.

Another example on my win10, monitor is 1280x768, maximized FM app window, the function returns 1280x685. Moving windows task bar bottom to left, get 1218x725.