4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 12:37 PM by erolst

Is it possible to display specific fields from a find?

cannizzaro

I would like to perform a find by "Invoice #" and display a table of some sort that will let the user know 1) The Client File # (which basically is the record) 2) if there are specific documents in the portal container. There is a value list that has the names of the documents such as 'Client work order' and 'Affidavit'.

Thank you,

Chris

• 1. Re: Is it possible to display specific fields from a find?
          Mike_Mitchell

Chris -

I'm not 100% certain I understand your setup, but I think what you have is a parent table that has a file # and a related table with some number of documents stored in container fields. Assuming that's correct, there are a couple of ways to accomplish the task:

1) Create a global field on the parent side. Insert into that field the key field values of the documents you want to display as a return delimited list, like this:

ID 1

ID 3

ID 4

ID 7

Create a relationship between that global field and the key field of the document table. You will then have a list of documents that match the list. You can then use the various related record functions (such as List, GetNthRecord, and so forth) to fetch what you need.

2) Use ExecuteSQL to fetch from the document table the desired fields. You might use syntax something like this:

SELECT {fields} FROM document WHERE document.documentID IN ('ID 1'. 'ID 3'. 'ID 4', 'ID 7')

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: Is it possible to display specific fields from a find?
            cannizzaro

Without getting that in depth. I created a new table layout that displayed the fields that I wanted. The only issue I am having is in the column that displays the document title coming from a portal, it only displays the first one in that portal.

-Chris

• 3. Re: Is it possible to display specific fields from a find?
              Mike_Mitchell

If it's just a related field, that's normal behavior. Suggest you change the context of the report to the child table and use related fields to display the parent data.

• 4. Re: Is it possible to display specific fields from a find?
                erolst

Which is the best way to do it – unless there are parent records that have no children; if that's the case (or you simply want a portal), create a calc field, type text, in the Parent table as

Substitute ( List ( Children::theFieldToList ) ; ¶ ; ", " // or any other delimiter to your liking )

and display that field in the portal.