7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2015 4:25 AM by techt

External RAID on FMS not connecting on reboot

techt

We have a few FMS servers (Mac minis) with external RAIDs, which is where we keep the databases and backups for FMS. We've started noticing with 13, and now with 14, that the external drive isn't being recognized after a reboot. v12 never exhibited this issue, we had a test 13 system that we had to have a user stay logged in for it to work, and with 14, once we log in and open the databases, we can log out and everything seems to be fine.

Anyone else experiencing this, and if so, do you know of a fix?

Thanks in advance,

TT

• 1. Re: External RAID on FMS not connecting on reboot
          mikebeargie

thunderbolt? usb? ethernet?

When was the last update to the firmware on your external device?

Sounds like an OS issue and not a filemaker server issue. However, you neglected to mention if you can see the drive outside of filemaker while filemaker can not see it.

• 2. Re: External RAID on FMS not connecting on reboot
            techt

Hi Mike, not sure what happened to the rest of the thread. It is Thunderbolt and everything is up to date (FMS13). It does appear to be an OS/FMS issue. The drive isn't mounted when FMS tries to connect, fails, and the drive doesn't show up in the Finder. Only Unmounting and Mounting the drive seemed to work for a while, but to better manage the issue, we've turned auto-start off on FMS. The drive mounts every time after reboot, and starting FMS after the server is available works every time.

TT

• 3. Re: External RAID on FMS not connecting on reboot
              mikebeargie

possibly maybe an OS upgrade killed it then.

This thread seems to have a lot of details:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6609042

suggestions range from using a 3rd party app called "kext", to resetting PRAM  and SMC.

• 5. Re: External RAID on FMS not connecting on reboot
                wimdecorte

Not a big fan of using external drives to host live files and this is exactly one of the reasons... too fragile.  Even if it did work fine under some version.  It is not the internal disk i/o subsystem so it is alway going to be subject to the unknowns of the OS and FMS that don't happen with internal drives.

Having said that: according to best practices, FMS should not be set to auto-host files and that should take care of the problem right there and then.  By the time you go to the admin console to open the files the external drive will be mounted ok.

Reason for the best practice to not auto-host: if the machine crashes you want to have the chance to inspect why before the crashed files are hosted and people start modifying data in files you may have to throw away and go to a backup.

(as an aside: it's considered bad form to mark your own answer to your own question as the correct answer.. there is a lot of sensitivity on this forum about the "points system" so it could be construed as bumping up your own score)

• 6. Re: External RAID on FMS not connecting on reboot
                  bigtom

wimdecorte wrote:

(as an aside: it's considered bad form to mark your own answer to your own question as the correct answer.. there is a lot of sensitivity on this forum about the "points system" so it could be construed as bumping up your own score)

I actually did this once in a situation where I answered my own question and you do not get any points for marking your own answer as correct.

• 7. Re: External RAID on FMS not connecting on reboot
                    techt

Thanks for you comments regarding external storage and not setting FMS to auto-host. I feel that RAID 5 (or better( is definitely worth any challenge a hardware/OS issue might be. Data integrity just isn't as solid on less. I've only had a couple hard drive failures over the past few decades (touch wood), but knowing that the data was safe was a big relief.

To be clear, I wasn't trying to garner any points. After the last changes to the Community, the thread was truncated, and I wanted anyone that happened across the same problem what the resolution was. I can't remember who it was that posted the answer, and I felt this was better than letting them wonder.