11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2015 11:08 AM by worldcloud

Filemaker on Wordpress sites

elmoore

Can Filemaker data be displayed on wordpress sites? And how?

• 1. Re: Filemaker on Wordpress sites
          rivet

create custom php wordpress templates file in the theme directory.  Your php files can connect to the wordpress mySql DB and your filemaker DB via filemakers php API or fx.php.

• 2. Re: Filemaker on Wordpress sites
            jgalt

There are several ways to do this. Can you give some examples of what you're trying to do?

I have produced several WordPress sites where I simply link a FileMaker database to a standard WordPress MySQL database via an ODBC connection. Then I simply push and pull information between the two. I have found that this greatly increases my workflow compared to using the painfully slow WordPress admin interface for entering and manipulating data.

• 3. Re: Filemaker on Wordpress sites
              User16087

Hi elmoore

if you want to keep things separated and use a standard wordpress template you can make your filemaker server act as a RESTful web service and then do GET/POST/PUT calls from Wordpress.

• 4. Re: Filemaker on Wordpress sites
                beverly

While 'possible', the can needs a warning or two.

• PERMISSIONS to access the (typically) MySQL db via ESS may be blocked by ISPs.

• The complexity of WP schema may make it difficult to exchange data directly between FMP & MySQL (there may be dependancies, there may be non-standard tables using EAV, there may be encrypted data that cannot be exchanged unless run through the WP php routines, etc.)

The "custom WP template" is the key here! If you send/receive FM data to the custom template(s) only then you have control of the schema. Again, you'll need permission to do this.

I have used upload forms for passing .CSV data exported from FM into WP (or other CMS) sites and other methods to connect FM, so agree that can is correct. But I owned the MySQL, PHP & FM Servers (I was the ISP).

HTH,

Beverly

On Jul 15, 2015, at 1:16 AM, rivet <noreply@filemaker.com> wrote

create custom php wordpress templates file in the theme directory.  Your php files can connect to the wordpress mySql DB and your filemaker DB via filemakers php API or fx.php.

• 5. Re: Filemaker on Wordpress sites
                  odubov

Im also did some projects with direct ODBC connection to Wordpress (and some others like Joomla) sites.

It works really fast.

• 6. Re: Filemaker on Wordpress sites
                    DavidZakary

Check out Lauren Kuhlmn's site http://wordpressfilemaker.com

• 7. Re: Filemaker on Wordpress sites
                      Vyke

Super easy using an ODBC connection between FMP and MySQL. I do it all the time.

• 8. Re: Filemaker on Wordpress sites
                        BruceRobertson

Is the Kuhlman site and product actually functional? I have been unable to reach anybody there for five years.

• 9. Re: Filemaker on Wordpress sites
                          ryantittle

It's functional, but in my opinion pretty limited. Tried to use it recently, but after persistent problem with xmlrpc api timeouts, we ended up abandoning it in favor of an ODBC connection.

• 10. Re: Filemaker on Wordpress sites
                            JoelShapiro

Hi elmoore

If you just need FM data to be "displayed"" on WordPress sites, you could create a CWP site that displays the relevant data and just place that into an iframe in WP. I did this for a client a few years ago and it worked very well for their needs*.

*This was an agency that provided trainings. They wanted to maintain the various training description pages in WP, so we put a unique URL in each page's iframe that showed the upcoming trainings of that type -- live from FileMaker. (Users could then select a training and would be brought to a regular CWP site to register.)

If you choose to follow cola's suggestion, you might want to look at RESTfm -- freshly turned open source

HTH,

-Joel

• 11. Re: Filemaker on Wordpress sites
                              worldcloud

We have connected WordPress and FileMaker for several dozen solutions. The schema in WordPress is simple compared to Joomla and some others. We simply connect FileMaker to the mySQL database via WordPress. Beverly warned that many ISP's will block this connection; however, I can not think of a case where that has ever been the case.

Many providers provide the cPanel system so that users may manage their own accounts. In the default cPanel installation their is a mySQL remote panel where you can 'bless' your FileMaker Server so that your WordPress data will be available to FileMaker.

If you are not working in a cPanel environment, the free mySQL Workbench app will permit you to connect to any mySQL and set access, users, etc. The setup is 'basic ESS', so I will not take any more time here, but it's not difficult.

The question you asked is how to show 'FileMaker data' in WordPress. The answer to this question is that there are two basic approaches. User CWP to use PHP code that you insert into your WordPress page to call FileMaker data. This approach works and can be very flexible, but the less complex method is point your FileMaker layouts towards mySQL via ESS and simply store your 'FileMaker data' in mySQL.

If for example, you wanted to 'sell something' on your site. I would install WooCoomerce for WordPress, and then adjust my FileMaker solution to use their Product, Clients, and payments tables. In many cases, if WooCommerce has a Products table, we will create a Product_Detail (in FileMaker) with a one to one relationship, so if we wish to add data that WooCommerce wasn't written for, we have a place to store it without changing the mySQL tables. This allows you to upgrade WordPress/ WooCommerce versions without breaking your FileMaker integration.

There are also some interesting sync scenarios I've seen used.

Like one of the previous responders, this really just depends on what you need to accomplish. If you have data which can be shown through 'normal' WordPress post types, then you are best to push data to mySQL; however, if you need a bunch of lists, detail views with tabbed interfaces, and more 'customized' functionality; then you will likely have less development time using CWP.

Recall, that in any WordPress page, you do not have to use their WYSIWYG editor. You call always switch to an HTML view and enter you 'FileMaker-centric' PHP/ CWP code and WordPress will render it without an issue. At that stage you are simply using WordPress as a wrapper for your code and likely simply using WordPress and a Web Content Management Solution.

WordPress is one of the most popular open source web projects on the face of the planet. Adding value to WordPress will not hurt you marketability should you ever wish to utilize these new-found skills.

Joe King

CEO,Worldcloud, Inc.

joe@worldcloud.com