1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2016 5:05 AM by Markus Schneider

Missing option to hide iOS status bar in FileMaker Go 14

skywillmott

Hmm, even with the recent 14.0.2 update, the application setting - that was present in previous versions of FileMaker Go - to hide the iOS status bar (where the battery level, wifi indicator, time etc are displayed) is still missing. :-(

Please please please bring it back FileMaker!

It is particularly useful for public facing iPad 'kiosks' running FileMaker Go solutions, where the iPad is always connected to a power source, and therefor has no requirement for battery level etc to be displayed. I have clients that expect kiosk solutions to run fully fullscreen with no iOS status bar showing, and as such I cannot deliver these solutions using FileMaker Go 14, and will need to continue using FileMaker Go 13 until the setting is brought back, which is very disappointing.

Even better would be if it was scriptable so that the iOS status bar could be hidden as and when required, rather than an application setting :-)

• 1. Re: Missing option to hide iOS status bar in FileMaker Go 14
          lavendt

I have never seen FMGO (any version) being able to hide the iOS status bar at the top of the screen. Not even when you create kiosk solutions.

If you look at many other apps, it is actually rare to find any, that is hiding the iOS status bar.

In FMGO14 we can now hide the FM menubar and toolbar independently via script steps or by using 3 fingers swipe, without having to create a kiosk solution. This is great !

But I could not think of a single solution, where I would want to hide the iOS status bar at the top of the screen....

• 2. Re: Missing option to hide iOS status bar in FileMaker Go 14
            skywillmott

Umm, most definitely was the hide status bar option in previous versions. It was in 'Settings' for the FileMaker Go app in versions 11, 12 and 13.. See attached screenshots from iPad, which includes v14, where it is missing. It was also present in iPhone versions.

Kiosk solutions built using FileMaker Go are fantastic - very versatile especially being able to use features such as web viewers, Insert from URL, PDF creation, emailing, etc... Previous to v14, I always used FMPA to create 'kiosk mode' solutions to hide all the 'chrome', but now that is mostly not needed because of the new hide menubar and toolbar options in v14... Pretty much no user not familiar with FileMaker Go would have any idea that a three finger swipe up would hide these things, so great being able to script it.

HOWEVER, pretty much the first question I get asked when proposing FileMaker Go as a kiosk solution is whether it will run fullscreen - ie. without the iOS status bar showing! And previous to v14, I was quickly able to answer YES, but now have to apologise and say no if using v14... Have even suggested that the kiosk cabinets get modified in such a way that they have a bevel that extends over the screen a little so as to hide the top status bar!!

I cannot think of a single reason why the show/hide status bar option would be removed in this release of Go 14....

statusbar.png

• 3. Re: Missing option to hide iOS status bar in FileMaker Go 14
              lavendt

Just checked and you are right !

Though, I can't remember this could be done via script in previous versions...

I do not know, why FMI has removed this option from the settings menu, but it is not something I miss, nor have we had requests for removing this status bar, beside when e.g. playing a movie full screen.

Make sure to put in a feature request on FileMaker's website. These requests ends up in a database, which is read daily by the product managers. That is the way to do feature requests. Not here, as they can't monitor the entire discussion board.

• 4. Re: Missing option to hide iOS status bar in FileMaker Go 14
                skywillmott

Yep, have put in the feature request, though seems odd to request a feature that was always present before....

Unfortunately it was never scriptable, but was easy enough to provide instructions to people that wanted to hide it...

• 5. Re: Missing option to hide iOS status bar in FileMaker Go 14
                  Markus Schneider

we got a couple of FMGo App's - mostly kiosk. I had to adjust the window size for all of them because of the status bar under 14. I don't understand, why somebody decided to get rid of this option. Sometimes, I got the impression that programmers don't have any glue of what they are doing...

)-:

• 6. Re: Missing option to hide iOS status bar in FileMaker Go 14
                    lassaly

This is a must have for all my FMGO apps. This must be returned immediately by Filemaker. What a goof.

• 7. Re: Missing option to hide iOS status bar in FileMaker Go 14
                      Scott Van Nostrand

Agree, I need that extra display area for my apps. It's not a lot of space but helps (iPhone 5...).

Scott

• 8. Re: Missing option to hide iOS status bar in FileMaker Go 14
                        lassaly

And to make matters worse, my layouts were all designed with the status bar removed. If I update my users to the latest FM GO all layouts will have to be redesigned. Yikes!

• 9. Re: Missing option to hide iOS status bar in FileMaker Go 14
                          skywillmott

So far with v14, I have actually gone back and redesigned solution layouts from scratch to optimise it for 14... The layout rendering engine for Go 14 seems to be very different from 13, resulting in a lot of glitchy screen flashing/jumping etc when navigating between list and form layouts for example. It's definitely now best to use the new Top and Bottom Navigation layout parts on both form and list layouts rather than Header/Footer parts for instance - makes for smoother transition between list and form layouts....

Also good to strip out old themes and start with the new 'Minimalist' theme and build up your custom ones from there....

It's actually a pleasing process to make use of all the good new v14 stuff like button icons, button bars etc... For iPhone solutions, I actually quite like keeping the status bar visible as battery level and wifi/mobile signal is something that mobile users do like to keep an eye on. Using Top Navigation layout parts also means you can set the background colour of the status bar - it blends seamlessly into it, and makes it look more like a native iOS 8 app... My gripe is the fact that the option to remove it is now gone, and there are circumstances such as kiosk solutions where the status bar is really not necessary.

As for catering for the various screen sizes of iPhone 4, 5, 6 and 6 Plus, then making use of the autosizing anchors to make sure solutions work well on all size screens is very effective. The new Button Bar layout object is fantastic when used this way - e.g. anchoring it to both left and right sides so that it stretches each button element within it proportionately to fit... :-)

• 10. Re: Missing option to hide iOS status bar in FileMaker Go 14
                            davidhamannmedia

skywillmott wrote:

My gripe is the fact that the option to remove it is now gone, and there are circumstances such as kiosk solutions where the status bar is really not necessary.

Absolutely agree. There are also situations where it is an actual customer requirement to stay compliant with their CI and not show additional chrome. Upgrading to 14 is therefore held back. Reasonable or not, that is the currently quite a big problem.

So, +1 to bringing the feature back.

• 11. Re: Missing option to hide iOS status bar in FileMaker Go 14
                              TSGal

All:

Thank you for your posts.

This entire thread has been forwarded to our Development and Testing departments so they can consider reimplementing the option in a future release.

Please also post to our Product Ideas board at:

Product Ideas

This board is monitored by Product Management and Development where each suggestion is discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Missing option to hide iOS status bar in FileMaker Go 14
                                codecruncher

I can confirm that the graphic engine has a few major glitches in comparison to FMGo 13. Object do not align perfectly and the flickering of portals reminds me of the old Windows version of FileMaker. Also a major drawback is that layouts are not automatically resized to their optimal size but are displayed as is. You were able to design cross platform layouts that would automatically zoom in and out in FMGo before. Now you have to redesign everything for FMGo 14. Could it be that I am simply missing an auto zoom option here?

• 13. Re: Missing option to hide iOS status bar in FileMaker Go 14
                                  codecruncher

I just experienced an endless 'spinning beach ball' (it's not really a beach ball in iOS). The point is that FMGo14 actually crashed. Upon closer inspection the graphic engine is astonishingly bad. I'll see if I can post some pictures here illustrating FMGo13 vs FMGo14. Right now I am completely floored. Which version is the graphic engine of FIAS based upon?

• 14. Re: Missing option to hide iOS status bar in FileMaker Go 14
                                    codecruncher

I started a separate thread with an attached picture. This is a major issue. I haven't tested FIAS yet...I hope it still has the FMGo 13 engine:

Graphic engine is broken in FMGo 14

1 2 Previous Next