6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2015 7:17 AM by FM-K12

IWP with FM 12, or Upgrade to FM14 with Webdirect?

mannyrsilva

My client is currently on Server 12 and now is seriously interested in having users login through a browser to the database when on client visits.  Concurrent users at this point might be two or three at the most.  Would anyone recommend moving all the way to FM 14, instead of staying with FM 12 and using IWP?  I have not worked with Webdirect yet, so are the benefits of it good enough to take a little more time to move to 14?  Or is the small number of users accessing the database insignificant for performance for now?

• 1. Re: IWP with FM 12, or Upgrade to FM14 with Webdirect?
          Mike_Mitchell

I wouldn't stay with IWP. It's deprecated technology, it's really not all that secure, and the user experience isn't anywhere near as good as WebDirect. Plus, as a developer, you have to work a lot harder to make the solution work well.

That said, the only major caveat with WebDirect is your server hardware has to be robust enough to support it. But that alone, especially with a small number of users, wouldn't be enough to make me want to stay with IWP.

Just my $0.02.

Mike

• 2. Re: IWP with FM 12, or Upgrade to FM14 with Webdirect?
            mannyrsilva

Thanks Mike for the feedback.  My client is a small agency on a tight budget, although I believe their fairly new MacMini with 8GB of RAM, along with the small number of users, should be good enough to handle the upgrade to 14 and on to Webdirect.

Their license would allow the users to go to 14 at now extra cost anyway, so I will probably work towards that instead.

• 3. Re: IWP with FM 12, or Upgrade to FM14 with Webdirect?
              Markus Schneider

Last year, we did a test-project for a customer who was running V12, they wanted web access.

We created a small solution under iwp and under webd

-> we've been much faster under webd (developement), although we created separate layouts for fmnet and webd/iwp

under V13, webd needed a powerfull hardware and it was a first of a kind - but the technique was really promising. Under V14, webd should be improved..

• 4. Re: IWP with FM 12, or Upgrade to FM14 with Webdirect?
                nodisorder

IWP it's not comparable with Webd.

In my experience to have IWP working well workarounds were needed all the time.

With webd already with FMP 13 and now with FMP14 you get a result that is nearly identical to FMP.

Fm server webd 14 it's very fast and it's faster over bad connections then Filemaker Pro and Go.

We are using a 6 year old windows  server.

Some clients are using webd with old hardware with good results.

Webd is the future of FMP.

You may try it also on the same Mac mini hardware using VMware Fusion without uninstalling fms 12.

Gianco

• 5. Re: IWP with FM 12, or Upgrade to FM14 with Webdirect?
                  mannyrsilva

Thanks for the very helpful feedback, gentlemen.  This is my first client who has been using FM12 for a while, and who wants to move forward to FM14 if possible.  I appreciate the advice!

• 6. Re: IWP with FM 12, or Upgrade to FM14 with Webdirect?
                    FM-K12

If your clients needs/expects to see their data in a table view grid - like Excel - then IWP is the place to go and yes, one can do some pretty cool things with IWP, but it takes work to get there.

However, if looking at multiple records at a time in a list view is OK with your client then by all means consider WebD if your hardware will support it.  WebD is the future, although I continue to prefer PHP sites for long term projects.