4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2015 3:49 PM by bigtom

Creating an intranet product catalog/ catalogue for sales team

sbieda

I need to create a password protected intranet based product catalog for my sales team. Were are a B2B company.

What I want to do is when i receive a product into inventory, I want to be able to just click and publish the SKU to our catalogue.

I also want to have e-commerce shopping cart functionality (PayPal/ Credit card payment, Purchase order generation).

Can this be done in Filemaker?

Will all of the sales team need to have a Filemaker license to access the catalogue or just administrators?

I have noticed that Android is not supported. Can Android users still login through Chrome?

Will this interface with Quickbooks?

I know there is a lot to unpack here but help with any of these topics is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen Bieda

Stoney Creek, ON Canada

• 1. Re: Creating an intranet product catalog/ catalogue for sales team
          intex

If you realize it via Webdirect, your sales team does not have to have FM Pro licenses.

Shopping cart could be done with FM, but with Webdirect the number of concurrent users is limited and expensive.

• 2. Re: Creating an intranet product catalog/ catalogue for sales team
            sbieda

Hi intex thanks for your reply.

We are B2B product company and aim to have 300-500 dealers across North America in the next 12-18 months. The 100 concurrent users would not be a problem as I doubt we would ever have more than 20 users at the same time.

Do you have any experience using Android devices with FM?

Stephen

• 3. Re: Creating an intranet product catalog/ catalogue for sales team
              intex

Hi Stephen,

as far as Google Chrome and WebDirect are used, I don´t see any big problems ahead with Android users.

Martin

• 4. Re: Creating an intranet product catalog/ catalogue for sales team
                bigtom

Let me try to answer you questions.

I need to create a password protected intranet based product catalog for my sales team. Were are a B2B company.

-Yes FM can do this. Depending on deployment and design speed may vary for users.

What I want to do is when i receive a product into inventory, I want to be able to just click and publish the SKU to our catalogue.

-FM should be able to do this without issue. Magical buttons are always nice, but require a bit of work sometimes.

I also want to have e-commerce shopping cart functionality (PayPal/ Credit card payment, Purchase order generation).

-This can be done solely in FM, but I suggest you use any number of existing free or reasonably priced eCommerce cart systems available. WooCommerce or Magento are both good. FileMaker can interact with either one via API or ODBC.

Will all of the sales team need to have a Filemaker license to access the catalogue or just administrators?

-As Intex said this can vary depending on deployment and design.

I have noticed that Android is not supported. Can Android users still login through Chrome?

-With apple releasing Swift2 compilers for Linux I think FMI should be looking at an android app in the near future. This would also impact Pro users. As Intex said with WebD can work on some devices.

Will this interface with Quickbooks?

-FM can integrate with QB. Although most off the shelf integrations only work with QB for Windows. WooCommerce and Magento have easy to implement QB integrations.

I have some experience with WooCommerce(wordpress) and FileMaker. It works well. You can also essentially use FM as a nice UI for the eCommerce MySQL database and keep minimal internal data in the FM database. Some queries can take a long time via ODBC, but the WC-API is pretty nice and getting better as time goes on.