5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2015 8:20 AM by lombardi3g

display multiple parent records?

lombardi3g

I know it's been only 3 days since FM intermediate training, but I can't get this to work.  A have a layout for inspections of orchards.  'Inspections' are a child table of the parent table 'Orchards' (many-to-one).  My layout has the child table fields and when I have entered the inspection record I then type in the foreign key which matches with the parent record primary key in which the inspection took place (i.e. identifies the correct orchard).

That works fine.

But I have a poor memory and so I need a drop-down list of Orchard Names et al so that I can enter the correct value into the foreign key field to fetch the correct Orchard record.

How can I do this? - i.e., basically have a display list of all parent records on the child entry layout so the user can make the proper connection between parent and child.  (either manually or automatically)

TIA,  Allan

• 1. Re: display multiple parent records?
          PeterWindle

You may need to look at the option to add a second field to your value list.

You can add a second field to display in your drop down list by selecting this check box (see attachment)

Also, keep in mind that attaching a parent to a child record may not be the most effective way to create the link.

It may be a better option to add multiple children to a parent via a portal (depending on your process - in other words, how you perform your data entry for work flow)

I hope this helps

• 2. Re: display multiple parent records?
            erolst

So the title should read: “display multiple potential parent records”

Anyway, there should be no need to memorize any of the IDs you (the database) uses in the background. You could …

In the Inspection context

• create a value list “from field” with 1.field: Orchard::ID, 2. Orchard::name, and “display values from second field only”.

Put the orchard foreign key on the layout, format it as a popup and assign it that new value list.

When you select an orchard name, Filemaker actually inserts the associated ID – and still presents you the name in the popup (this works even if there is no relationship between Orchard and Inspection). Be aware that – for technical reasons – the resolution of an ID into a name does not work with a dropdown list.

• create a “Cartesian” relationship (x operator) between Inspection and Orchard; i.e. create a new table occurrence of Orchard, name it, say, Orchard__all, and relate it to Inspection like so:

Inspection::anyField x Orchard__all::anyField

Put a portal into that relationship on your Inspection layout (you could stash it in a popover), sort by name, put in the fields you need to unambiguously identify the Orchard, and make one of the fields a button (or create a dedicated “button button”) with the single step

Set Field [ target field: Inspection::id_orchard ; Calculated result: Orchard__all::id ]

i.e. set the foreign key of this Inspection record to the primary key of the clicked Orchard record (portal row).

Another approach is to work …

In the Orchard context

… and

• either allow the creation of related records in the bold TO of your relationship

Orchard::id = Inspection::id_orchard

by checking the appropriate setting.Then put in a portal of Inspection on the Orchard layout, and create new Inspections by creating new portal rows – where the foreign key is set automatically!

• or write a script to capture the current Orchard record's primary key, go to Inspections, create a new record, insert the captured value, and start working on the new Inspection record.

I'd be somewhat amazed if none of these basic techniques (for a basic task) hasn't been covered in that Intermediate Training … or have they?

• 3. Re: display multiple parent records?
              fmprojohn

1)  Select the field in question then go to Inspector ---> Data tab ---> Control Style ---> select "Drop-down list."

2)  Now you need to create the "Value List."  At the same place in Inspector click the "pencil" and choose "New" value list.  Give the value list a name and select the field name on which it is to be based.  Next you choose up to two fields to display.  Sometimes you might need to place a calculated field in your table to use as a descriptor to help the user select a name or description as well as the unique ID field.  In other words, if the user only sees

ID01

ID02

ID03

and so on, it would be difficult/impossible to make a meaningful choice.  You can choose to only display a descriptor field but use the key field upon selection.

Play with (and de-bug as necessary) your end result to make sure it meets your expectations.

• 4. Re: display multiple parent records?
                erolst

If you have a value list from two fields, you will not want to use a dropdown list, because it always show the value from the first field, i.e. what's actually been inserted.

• 5. Re: display multiple parent records?
                  lombardi3g

Yes, I should have said potential parent records.  Thank you for your extensive response - I will give it all a try.  It was a 1 day training only and this was covered but not nearly so thoroughly and I missed a few points in my notes - until I DO it myself I really haven't learned it.  Thank you again and to the other responders, Allan.