2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2015 3:42 PM by ChrisSweet

Create a list by manually selecting from another list

ChrisSweet

Hi

Not sure where to start with this one. I have a table which contains records of Team Leaders

I want to be able to show all the team leaders and select some of them to run a Find.

Should I be looking at 2 portals, one showing the original list and the other showing the selected list (initially empty). If so would I click a row in the first portal and somehow remove that record and add it to the second portal ?  It would be great to be able to do the reverse as well in case of a bad selection.

After all this is done would I then read through the selected portal records and translate them into a list ?

I've done this before in Visual Foxpro but not sure how to do it with Filemaker.

Any hints gratefully accepted..

TIA

Chris

• 1. Re: Create a list by manually selecting from another list
          erolst

If you want to use two portals:

• create a Cartesian relationship to a new TeamLeaders TO

• create a (global) text field

• create a relationship to another new TeamLeaders TO that is based on the new field

(Or use the existing Cartesian relationship and filter it.)

• place both portals on the layout

• write a script that adds/remove the ID (primary key) of the clicked Cartesian TeamLeader ID to/from the new field

• attach the script to a field in the Cartesian portal

This field is your selection list. Don't forget to clear it after you've done something with it.

Another method, using a single portal and a variable:

• create a Cartesian relationship to a new TeamLeaders TO

• write a script that adds/remove the ID (primary key) of the clicked Cartesian TeamLeader ID to/from a $$globalVar

• attach the script to a field in the Cartesian portal

• conditionally format a field in the portal to denote a selection, based on the $$globalVar (requires a refresh)

The $$globalVar is your selection list. Don't forget to clear/delete it it after you've done something with it.

Actually, here is an example: go to the Orchards layout and click “New Inspection”; there you can see a single Cartesian portal and a $$globalVar in action.

• 2. Re: Create a list by manually selecting from another list
            ChrisSweet

Thanks for your reply

I didn't fully understand it all but will work through it and compare to your sample. It's always good to see things in action and get different opinions.

Thanks again.