6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2015 3:20 PM by steveromig

Change email on forums.filemaker.com

davidanders

Change email on forums.filemaker.com to match community.filemaker.com for merge

Signing on to forums.filemaker.com shows but does not allow editing ID or Email.

Hints?  (my forums subscription uses an 8 year old email address, community a new email address.

The merge explanation from Filemaker indicates matching email addresses is important.

On August, 25 2015 the FileMaker Forums will merge with the FileMaker Community. The FileMaker Community is built on the latest discussion forum technology. We think you’ll enjoy some of the new enhancements including the ability to: 

·   More easily find information all in one place

·   Use type ahead to find discussion threads and topics

·   Accumulate recognition points as you contribute to posts

·   Get access to helpful resources such as tech briefs, videos, and “how to’s”

Click here for more information on how to migrate your forum account, including posts and comments, to the FileMaker Community.

FileMaker Forum Transition Q&A | FileMaker

What happens if I have a FileMaker Forum and a FileMaker Community account?

The first recommended step is to ensure you have matching accounts in the FileMaker Forum and the FileMaker Community to ensure your posts and comments transfer properly when we merge the systems.

Note that the two accounts will be merged if the email address associated with each account match. If any other account details such as your Username (Display name) or password are different it will default to your FileMaker Community profile.

To ensure that your accounts are migrated properly it is recommended to have matching accounts in the FileMaker Forum and the FileMaker Community by August 18, 2015.  

• 1. Re: Change email on forums.filemaker.com
          jrenfrew

Except you CAN"T change the email on the forum account

• 2. Re: Change email on forums.filemaker.com
            steveromig

David Anders wrote:

Change email on forums.filemaker.com to match community.filemaker.com for merge

Signing on to forums.filemaker.com shows but does not allow editing ID or Email.

Hints?  (my forums subscription uses an 8 year old email address, community a new email address.

The merge explanation from Filemaker indicates matching email addresses is important.

< insert sarcasm here > Gee...I can't understand why none of you couldn't figure this out.

Here is what you need to do...

1. While in the forums, click on the "Knowledge Base" link near the top of the screen which is part of the navigation.  It is part of the navigation that also includes "Downloads", "Forums", "FileMaker Technologies", "Contact support" in case it isn't obvious where it is located.
            2. Click on the "Your Account" tab
            3. From here it gets much easier - click on "Update your account settings"

From here you can change or confirm what you need to.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Change email on forums.filemaker.com
              davidanders

Thank you, Steve.

<insert pissed happiness>  I guess there is always something to learn that you don't care about, until you do.

• 4. Re: Change email on forums.filemaker.com
                electon

I figured that part already that via KB you could change something, that smart hey....

Only when I set the email or account name to my Community email it complains that the email already exists and wants to take me for a walk changing restetting my password.

• 5. Re: Change email on forums.filemaker.com
                  danshockley

It looks suspiciously like at some point accounts were automatically generated in Forums using email addresses from Community. In addition to my good Forums account (currently using a different email than I used in Community), there is an account with the email from Community, but with the first name of "Answer" and last name of "Feedback" and no other info: no posts, no comments, nothing. I don't believe I would have created that. It looks like an automatic process gone wrong.

My work-around is to give up (for now) on using the email address I _want_ to use for both, and instead change the good account in Community and the good account in Forums to some other email address so they match and will be merged automatically. Once the merger has been thoroughly merged, I'll change back to the email I want.

Unless, of course, the bogus old Forums account eating up my email address is also brought over. Ugh. Maybe that won't work after all.

What I'd really like is for there to be a way to delete the bogus Forums account.

Thoughts?

• 6. Re: Change email on forums.filemaker.com
                    steveromig

Daniel Shockley wrote:

It looks suspiciously like at some point accounts were automatically generated in Forums using email addresses from Community. In addition to my good Forums account (currently using a different email than I used in Community), there is an account with the email from Community, but with the first name of "Answer" and last name of "Feedback" and no other info: no posts, no comments, nothing. I don't believe I would have created that. It looks like an automatic process gone wrong.

My work-around is to give up (for now) on using the email address I _want_ to use for both, and instead change the good account in Community and the good account in Forums to some other email address so they match and will be merged automatically. Once the merger has been thoroughly merged, I'll change back to the email I want.

Unless, of course, the bogus old Forums account eating up my email address is also brought over. Ugh. Maybe that won't work after all.

What I'd really like is for there to be a way to delete the bogus Forums account.

Thoughts?

For anyone who is running into this scenario where their first name is "Answer" and their last name is "Feedback", please send an email to forumsupport@filemaker.com and we will help you resolve this.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.