2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2015 10:41 AM by MartinBridges

Best way to access a FM file from the otherside of the world

MartinBridges

Afternoon

We are based in the UK and have an extensive FM 13 data separated database based on around 80 tables. We would like most of the data file available (on a read only basis) to our partner in Hong Kong.

[1] If we just set up a new user interface (in HK) with table occurrences to the datafile (in GB). It works fine save for the time lag. Going though to a layout based on a new table delays things 30+ seconds and as they are constantly going between layouts/tables the delay is unacceptable.

[2] I wonder about setting up an export/import script.

Give them a copy of the current database.

Set up a script that runs, say on the hour, to go through every table (in the UK) find the newly created records and the newly modified records and export those to the server in HK. Then in the HK database run a script on the half hour that imports those records over-writing existing records based on UID and creating new records for those that are left.

[3] The following has also been suggested.

Give them their own single file interface. In there set up all the fields (apart from UID) as look ups. Based on a T/O to the datafile.

Loop through all tables in the UK datafile, collecting just UIDs of new and modified records. Parse to the HK file and unpack. Refresh the records with found UIDs

[4] Any other suggestions/experiences gratefully received

regards

Martin

• 1. Re: Best way to access a FM file from the otherside of the world
          johnnyb

We use WebDirect for this. Our main office is in Texas, and we have partners around the world, as far away as Asia.

We built a separate database file just for our partners, using bare minimum layouts and themes. It is really cranked down to just what the partners need in order to submit and retrieve data. We managed to get it down to three layouts with fewer than a dozen fields.

With 13, they found WebDirect performance acceptable, with some complaints about lag. The complaints were mostly related to delays while FileMaker would save the record and update the display… that round-trip lag led to a lot of initial confusion. We addressed the performance primarily through diplomacy ("we're working on it") and training ("take your time, be patient, do one step at a time.")

I've only just moved it to 14, but I am already seeing vastly improved performance, and I'm meeting with folks next week to see how they like it. In my high-latency link simulations, it's about as snappy as I would expect.

14 is much nicer than 13 for this, I can already tell you. Field behaviors are much improved. Load time is much reduced. Page rendering is much snappier. Honestly, where I had been harboring dread that I would eventually have to switch to a PHP solution, now I feel much more confident that I can stick with WebDirect.

So I would look at 14, and I would look at WebDirect. Make something just for your partners that is literally no more than they need, and I'd bet on your success.

• 2. Re: Best way to access a FM file from the otherside of the world
            MartinBridges

Thanks for your experience Jonny. I'm well acquainted with FM 13 and WebDirect. I didn't realise 14 was such an improvement. I'll explore

thanks Martin