4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2015 6:40 AM by m.mcdonell

Counting tasks per person

m.mcdonell

I have a system where each contact can have tasks associated to them. When on the contact page, I can get a count of how many tasks.

BUT...

How can I get a count to appear on any layout that automatically updates, or at the very least updates when the user changes records? I wanted to have the users name as a top button with a task counter / notification appear. I imagine this may involve SQL which I do not understand enough of.

Please help, this is the last item on my to do list and it has me stumped.

• 1. Re: Counting tasks per person
          taylorsharpe

An unstored calculation should handle this.  You could make sure it is forced by a window refresh on record load, but you probably don't even need that.  Tell us what your calculation of tasks is like?  Is it a calc?  Summary?

• 2. Re: Counting tasks per person
            m.mcdonell

Currently it is a simple calculation:

If ( PROJECT ID MATCH FIELD ; ( Tasks::Total Tasks ) ; 0 ) under the Contacts Table

But, I do not know how to make this work on the Client table - they are related.

[CUSTOMER ID MATCH FIELD = PROJECT ID MATCH FIELD] joins the customer table to the project table.

[PROJECT ID MATCH FIELD = PROJECT ID MATCH FIELD] joins project table to the task table

[RESOURCE ID MATCH FIELD = CONTACT ID MATCH FIELD] joins the task table to the contact table

• 3. Re: Counting tasks per person
              erolst

m.mcdonell wrote:

[CUSTOMER ID MATCH FIELD = PROJECT ID MATCH FIELD] joins the customer table to the project table.

[PROJECT ID MATCH FIELD = PROJECT ID MATCH FIELD] joins project table to the task table

[RESOURCE ID MATCH FIELD = CONTACT ID MATCH FIELD] joins the task table to the contact table

This Starter Solution "ID Match Field" nomenclature is truly a PITA.

Parsing your description, I assume that you have

Customer --< Project --< Task >-- Contact

But is that correct?

m.mcdonell wrote:

Looks like you're relating two primary key fields – though, with that nomenclature, who can say?

And this is confusing:

m.mcdonell wrote:

Looks like you're again relating two primary keys (but what exactly is Resource ID? Resource = task …? Confusing & confusinger …)

Well, whatever it is, it seems to work for you …

m.mcdonell wrote:

But, I do not know how to make this work on the Client table - they are related.

So, is Client = Customer?

And what tasks do you want to count in the Client/Customer context? All tasks of all projects of that c/c? (All active tasks of all active projects …?)

Best provide a simple description of your tables and relationships as shown above, and what (type of) tasks you want to count in what context.

btw, if you want to count records from the same table in different contexts, don't create calc fields in these other tables; create a single calc (Get ( FoundCount ) ) or summary (Count of <nonEmptyField >) field in that one table, and use the field as a related field in the other tables.

• 4. Re: Counting tasks per person
                m.mcdonell

It works, the only problem I have is:

example: I have 10 projects with tasks, etc. From these 10, I have 6 of them that converted to customers. These 6 are related and the task counter displays when I am on one of the 6 records but nothing displays on the other 4.

Any ideas?