1 2 3 4 Previous Next 55 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2015 9:56 AM by bertrand

Execute SQL in Filemaker

jurijn

Hey developers,

I used some SQL to get some data back from FM.

I have problems with the returned data, that means numbers contains decimal places. I dont want them so I wanted to use round (column, 0) function in a query (without success).

That is the query, that I used in executeSQL function inside a set variable script step:

..."SELECT worker_name, round( sum( revenue ), 0 ) FROM sales where worker_name IS NOT NULL group by worker_name"...

I could´t manage function to work. If I run executeSQL without round function in a query everything works fine.

Is that not supported in FM or is the query wrong? I am not quite sure that must I admit

Please share some your opinion and experience on that topic!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Execute SQL in Filemaker
          user19752

No calculation on result of aggregate functions are supported.

bad: sum(n) + 1

good: sum(n+1)

• 2. Re: Execute SQL in Filemaker
            erolst

user19752 wrote:

But that is not the same – just like

Round ( Sum ( revenue ) , 0 )

isn't the same as

Sum ( Round ( revenue, 0 ) )

(which works in ExecuteSQL() )

btw., Round ( someField , 0 ) = Int ( someField ).

• 3. Re: Execute SQL in Filemaker
              okramis

user19752 schrieb:

Unfortunately! My workaround is, do a first ExecuteSQL with the aggregate, populate a VirtualList with the result and do a 2nd ExecuteSQL on the VirtualList doing the calculations. I do this all in single let-statement, as the VL resides in RAM this is almost instant, is sort of a temp-table.

The whole thing because ROUND(SUM(x)) is not the same as SUM(ROUND(x))...

• 4. Re: Execute SQL in Filemaker
                erolst

okramis wrote:

a first ExecuteSQL with the aggregate, populate a VirtualList with the result and do a 2nd ExecuteSQL on the VirtualList doing the calculations. I do this all in single let-statement, as the VL resides in RAM

If the VL resides in memory, what do you use as table/field references in that second query?

• 5. Re: Execute SQL in Filemaker
                  okramis

If the VL resides in memory, what do you use as table/field references in that second query?

Hi Erolst

It's of corse a "real" VL, but as the fields of the VL only sort of parse the $$variable, I think it's all in memory. It needs to take care of the data-types in the 2nd query for calculations though, as for flexibility the VL-fields may be text-fields. I.E. SELECT Field01, ROUND(NUMVAL(Field02)) FROM VL WHERE ID IS NOT NULL

Regards

Otmar

• 6. Re: Execute SQL in Filemaker
                    rrrichie

You could try this...

SELECT INT ( (SELECT ( SUM ( S.Revenue ) ) FROM Sales S WHERE S.name=N.name) ) as rev_int, name FROM Sales N  GROUP BY N.name

Always wondered why that one does work...

Think it's because the INT works on a number in that case and not on an aggregate function :-)

• 7. Re: Execute SQL in Filemaker
                      rrrichie

Actually that is a nifty solution,  I see all sorts of solutions for other queries :-)

• 8. Re: Execute SQL in Filemaker
                        okramis

must be "SELECT Field01, ROUND(NUMVAL(Field02)) FROM VL WHERE Field01 IS NOT NULL" or any field, that must have a value

• 9. Re: Execute SQL in Filemaker
                          okramis

rrrichie schrieb:

You could try this...

SELECT INT ( (SELECT ( SUM ( S.Revenue ) ) FROM Sales S WHERE S.name=N.name) ) as rev_int, name FROM Sales N  GROUP BY N.name

Think it's because the INT works on a number in that case and not on an aggregate function :-)

Here you do a subquery which returns a single value, so you're not doing a calculation on a aggregate, a good workaround too!

P.S. as ExecuteSQL does not return any column names it's not needed to specify the "as rev_int"

• 10. Re: Execute SQL in Filemaker
                            erolst

rrrichie wrote:

There's no problem in IT that cannot be solved by adding more levels of indirection …

• 11. Re: Execute SQL in Filemaker
                              rrrichie

yeah I know, never lost the habit :-)

would be great if FM gets a little tiny very small update up from SQL 92...

But that will probably never happen...

Running aggregating scripts at nite does give a whole load of new possibilities :-).

Like in the above example, if the Sales table gets really big, I would just aggregate it at nite.  And if the user wants real time data you only have to add the sales of today.

• 12. Re: Execute SQL in Filemaker
                                rrrichie

Yes that is directly correct

• 13. Re: Execute SQL in Filemaker
                                  beverly

Can you expound on this (more detail please!) how do you have a virtual list (table) in RAM?

beverly

On Aug 7, 2015, at 5:46 AM, okramis:

as the VL resides in RAM this is almost instant, is sort of a temp-table.

• 14. Re: Execute SQL in Filemaker
                                    rrrichie

If you use the virtual_rows/list  technique where each row in a table fetch the values from a global then since globals are stored per user on his own machine, one can assume it would be in RAM or Cache if it ain't too big.

FileMaker Virtual List Technique

1 2 3 4 Previous Next