5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2015 11:37 AM by steveoh

Payment to Multiple Invoices

steveoh

So I'm working on an old database and trying to add new functionality to it.  Something I Would like to do is to establish a method of applying a single payment to multiple invoices.

It's probably the essential many to many scenario that has a lot of new developers scratching their heads.  This is what I have so far:

[Payment] - - - - [Customer] - - - - [Invoices]

I figured having an intermediary table would assist with the dealing with the many to many.  I am having issues, however, applying payments from "Payment" to "Invoices".    I can't seem to copy text the script itself and the file, as stated, is a currently used database so some of the information is live.  I've rewritten this so if theres errors it's likely they're of a transposing nature.  I left out a few debugging dialog boxes I added for my purpose and things of that nature.

The problem lies somewhere in this area of code.  I can't get it to store any values, I've used custom dialog boxes that tell me the running balance of each variable and so I know those aren't the issue.

CODE

Set Variable[$Payment; Value:Payments::Principal Owed + Payments::Extra] //Set these separately for another reason we won't go into

Set Variable[$PaymentBalance; Value: "0"]  //Initiating Variable for later use

Set Variable[$BalanceOwed; Value:Invoices::BalanceOwed]

If[$Invoices > 0]  //test if there's still money owed with invoices

If[$Payment > $BalanceOwed]

Go to Related Record [(from invoices using layout _)] //Left out names as they didn't seem relevant

Loop

Set Variable[$PaymentBalance; Value:$payment - Invoices::BalancePaid]

Set Field [Invoices::totalPaid; $Payment - $BalanceOwed

Set Variable[$Payment; Value:$PaymentBalance]

Set Variable[$BalanceOwed; Value:Invoices::BalanceOwed]

Go to Record/Request/Page [Next; Exit after last] //Move to next invoice is the intention here

Exit Loop If [ $Payment = 0 ]

Exit Loop If [ Sum ( Invoices::BalancePaid ) = 0 ]

End Loop

Else If [$Payment < $BalanceOwed]

Go to Related Record [(from invoices using layout _)] //Left out names as they didn't seem relevant

Set Field [Invoices::totalPaid; Value:Invoices::BalanceOwed - $payment]

End If

Else If [$BalanceOwed = 0]

//Not the problem area//

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

• 1. Re: Payment to Multiple Invoices
          mikebeargie

Your relationships should be:

Customer --<- Invoices

Invoices --<- InvoiceLines

Customer --<- Payments

Payments --<- PaymentSplits

Invoices --<- PaymentSplits

Basically you need another intermediary join table to handle the multi:multi relationship between payments and invoices for your new functionality. You may have to use some table occurrences to be able to display everything how you need, but fundamentally you are describing a multi:multi relationship, but have not setup your relationships that way.

• 2. Re: Payment to Multiple Invoices
            mikebeargie

Then your loop becomes making records in the PaymentSplits table until your payment = 0.

• 3. Re: Payment to Multiple Invoices
              steveoh

I'll try those changes, thanks for your help!

• 4. Re: Payment to Multiple Invoices
                erolst

What you have is:

steveoh wrote:

[Payment] - - - - [Customer] - - - - [Invoices]

which you would write as:

Payment >-- Customer --< Invoices

What you need is

Invoices >-- Customer --< Payments --< InvoicePayment >-- Invoices (yes, it's the same table …)

Meaning: a customer has many invoices, and many payments; every payment belongs to zero, one or many invoices.

(That allows you to record payments without initially (or, for that matter, at all) associating them with any invoice.)

So that is your data model.

steveoh wrote:

So I'm working on an old database and trying to add new functionality to it.

[…]

The problem lies somewhere in this area of code.

So, what exactly is your script trying to achieve? And what is the problem?

• 5. Re: Payment to Multiple Invoices
                  steveoh

I'll have to make that "Invoices Payment" tab.  Thanks for the help.

So, what exactly is your script trying to achieve? And what is the problem?

As stated in the original post:

The problem lies somewhere in this area of code.  I can't get it to store any values, I've used custom dialog boxes that tell me the running balance of each variable and so I know those aren't the issue.