taylorsharpe

ExecuteSQL Reserved Word "Table" in FM 14 different than 13

Discussion created by taylorsharpe on Aug 14, 2015
Latest reply on Aug 17, 2015 by user19752

When using ExecuteSQL, there are Reserved words and non-standard characters which make us often have to put double quotes around field and table names in our SQL.  I have a table that has a field named "Table", which is appropriate because it has records tracking batch file operations of various tables in the solution.  However, "Table" is a reserved word.  In FileMaker 13, I had a SQL that included "WHERE \"Table\" = ?" in it.  This worked in 13.  When I upgraded to 14, I found out that this no longer worked and resulted in a "?" for the SQL.  To test the problem, I created a calculation field called "Tbl" that was equal to the field "Table" and tried the SQL using "WHERE Tbl = ?" and it works.  So apparently, just quoting the reserved word "Table" as a field in 14 does not work like it did in 13 and you have to be more careful about having a field with that name.  As a result, I had to go through and change a number of ExecuteSQL calculations in FM 14. 

FileMaker, Inc. maintains a list of reserved words to avoid as field and table names.  For reference, they are at:  Reserved words in FileMaker Pro | FileMaker

Outcomes