11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2015 2:46 PM by keywords

Question regarding language issue using calculations

dac

Hi all,

I hope it is the right section, I am a total rookie here... I use Filemaker Pro 12 and the question is relatively simple. I am creating a sort of budget tool, I have a simple, neat transaction field for identifying the date of any given transaction. Now, I also want to add next to it a calculation using the DayName function. The calculation does work, it extracts the right day of the week, but... it names the day in Italian. For example, this is how a record looks like at the moment:

16 Aug 2015 / Domenica

As you can see, the transaction date field is correctly formatted in English, but the calculation field is in Italian. I checked the my default system language in System Preferences, I am an Apple-user, and there is only one language English, all the time and date formats use English-formatting and even my keyboard is US-format.

While I can bypass the day issue, using a different formatting, I can ask Filemaker to also display the day within the transaction date field, and in doing so I get the right English version, the problem remains and it also extends to names of months. For example, I get Italian months in reports.

I have no idea how to fix this, and it is very annoying. Any help/ideas would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks!

• 1. Re: Question regarding language issue using calculations
          erolst

Rather than adding an extra calculation (field) to your table, try formatting the date field in the layout; you'll find the options in the Inspector under Data / Data Formatting.

Screen Shot 2015-08-16 at 11.56.08.png

btw, on my OS X I've selected German keyboard and time and US-English date; using the above method gives a display with an English day name, so that should work for you, too.

• 2. Re: Question regarding language issue using calculations
            dac

Hi erolst,

Thank you for the tip, yes, you're absolutely right, I can obtain the same result playing with the formatting section of the inspector, it is indeed the workaround I also thought of. However, I would like to solve the problem nonetheless. As I mentioned above, I tried to create some reports using month names for sorting, and again I get Italian months instead of English ones. Of course, there is another workaround here, I just used month numbers instead of names (e.g. 1 for January, 2 for February, and so on), and the sorting looks okish. But the problem remains unsolved.

I also looked again at my System Preferences (both Region & Language and Keyboard), below you can see that everything is English formatted (time and date), just as you rightly suggested. Yet, I get Italian names for days and months in FileMaker... quite a mystery.

Screen Shot 2015-08-16 at 13.23.13.png

But thank you very much for taking the time to reply!

• 3. Re: Question regarding language issue using calculations
              erolst

For your reports, create a calc field, type date, =

yourDateField - Day ( yourDateField ) + 1

and use that as sort/group/break field; as header, use that field (or your original date field) with the layout formatting for “August 2015”.

That's not really a workaround, but the usual method to implement such a grouping in a report.

Another question: what results do you get when you create a new file on your system with its current settings? It might be that your file remembers the settings from the time of its creation (speculating here …internal storage of times and dates seems sometimes quite … mysterious).

If that is so, then I think that saving a clone with your current settings and re-importing the data is the suggested method to “update” your file's settings. Not very convenient, for sure …

• 4. Re: Question regarding language issue using calculations
                electon

Has the file been created on the current system you have?

These settings remain with the file, so if it was created on a computer with Italian as default it may persist.

Sometimes the only option will be to save the file as a clone end reimport the data.

The cloned file will take on the system's default language options.

And I just tried it ant it indeed works.

While OSX Format Language was set to English, the MonthName produced August.

Changed to Dutch and it was still producing English.

Saved a clone an reimported the data and voila, the calculations returned MonthName in Dutch.

There may be other workarounds that I'm not aware of, but this is what FileMaker suggests.

• 5. Re: Question regarding language issue using calculations
                  keywords

Re: "I tried to create some reports using month names for sorting" and "Of course, there is another workaround here, I just used month numbers instead of names".

Why would you sort by month NAME anyway? That will sort alphabetically (Apr, Dec, Feb … Oct), in any language. Month number (or simply Date) is the correct sort if you want your report sorted in date order.

• 6. Re: Question regarding language issue using calculations
                    keywords

Or you could try resetting your FM preferences.

• 7. Re: Question regarding language issue using calculations
                      dac

Hi all,

Thank you for all the tips and suggestions. We cracked the case...

The file was originally created on a computer that was Italian-formatted, when it moved to my new computer, which is US-formatted, FileMaker mixed the two formats for some reason. That is why I would get this sort of half English / half Italian layout. To solve it, I created a new file and re-imported the data as erolst initially suggested... it is of course quite painful, but I guess this is a rare case.

As for the reports, well, I am almost entirely new to FileMaker, I was trying to figure out a nice way to sort the data by years and then months, and did not get this result using my date field (I get a long list of records without the right breaks for years and months). Then, I thought of using sub-summary sections, one with the Year (date) function, and another one with the Month (date) function. Of course, I would have liked to see the full name of the month (e.g. August), instead of a simple number (e.g. 8 standing for August).

Of course, very - really very - open to suggestions. That said, I will also try out the tips you gave me. Thank you once again!

• 8. Re: Question regarding language issue using calculations
                        electon

Use what erolst suggested in the custom data formatting with the date field on the sub summary part.

The calculation field will take care of the sorting and when records are sorted, only the first matching record will be displayed on the part.

If it's sorted by month the date from the field will be the first available date from that month.

And to add to that, you will need a second calc field for years.

That's why I make them permanent calculation fields in my table.

They are the most used sort types and I know I will need them, otherwise you will need calculation fields "unstored" for this purpose anyhow.

It's more flexible and dynamic with the unstored calculation but you're "limited" ( encumbered ) by the sub summary parts you create anyway.

• 9. Re: Question regarding language issue using calculations
                          keywords

Re: "Of course, I would have liked to see the full name of the month (e.g. August), instead of a simple number (e.g. 8 standing for August)" – Use the Year (date) and Month (date) functions to SORT the records, but use the MonthName (date) function to derive the month name for display—or just configure the date field itself to DISPLAY the exploded form.

With FM, you can have your cake and eat it too!

• 10. Re: Question regarding language issue using calculations
                            dac

Thanks keywords, I quickly tried to implement your suggestion in my existing reports, and it looks great now, I got the look I was searching for! "Virtual" drinks are on me, cheers!

• 11. Re: Question regarding language issue using calculations
                              keywords

You're welcome—really!