3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2015 1:47 PM by electon

Auto Complete Drop Down

leeputnam

I send quote to customers currently using Google Drive. It seems to be working, but there are some aspects of it I don't like.

In drive, I upload my price lists, and then us a drop down list to select products. It is nice because I can start typing and it will filter the list for me. I know this is possible using 'auto-complete', but is not possible when the list references a field. Is there a work around?

Most of my price lists have 200+ items, and I have 15 different price lists I need to be able to pull from. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Auto Complete Drop Down
          electon

Are there different tables for different price lists or just one?

What do you mean "it's not possible when the list references a field"?

It's exactly how value lists work, unless they are based on custom values.

The Google Drive and price list is also confusing. What ( which app ) exactly are you using there that does auto complete?

• 2. Re: Auto Complete Drop Down
            leeputnam

Are there different tables for different price lists or just one?

Just one table, the fields will be as follows...

Manufacture

Product ID

Manufacture_Product - Combined Manufacture and Product ID

Description

Price

---

What do you mean "it's not possible when the list references a field"?

It's exactly how value lists work, unless they are based on custom values.

I mean the auto-complete feature. When I have a value list referencing a feild it doesn't let me click the "Auto-Complete using value list" check box.

---

The Google Drive and price list is also confusing. What ( which app ) exactly are you using there that does auto complete?

When you are using Google Sheets (sorry left that out), if you create a drop down list, it allows you to start typing in a cell and it searches the value list.

Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 2.23.39 PM.png

---

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot, does anyone know of a better way to create an quote system using a large list of products?

• 3. Re: Auto Complete Drop Down
              electon

leeputnam wrote:

---

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot, does anyone know of a better way to create an quote system using a large list of products?

If it's FileMaker you're talking about then it's the right place to look among other forums.

Your explanation makes it more clear.

The reason your auto complete might not work is because it will not work for value lists that use "also display values from a second field" or when it's not a text field.

But when it works it works in a different way than Google Spreadsheet.

Only the consecutive characters, starting from the first one, will auto complete.

so typing c will display only Cake and not Ice Cream.

FileMaker is not that strong in this area and often you're forced to create your own search solution for this.

One way is to use a global field for the search query,

then get that text,

go off to the products layout,

perform a find,

collect the id's of the found set,

come back to original layout,

dump the id's to a global field,

that field is linked to the id's of the products table,

display the results in a portal so you can choose ( click to add to quote ) the product

It's a utility. Can be done in a separate modal window, a popover, a slide control or a tab.