I'm looking for advice on how to arrange reporting scripts. In the dark ages, I created a "reports" layout in the primary FMP file, threw in a bunch of buttons and attached scripts to them. It's a mess.
I have a few complaints about how I did this before:
- It's hard for people to remember which report does what.
- Some scripts open other files with their own reports layout (e.g., "Worklog Reports" opens the Worklog file).
- Some scripts perform actions on the found set, while others create a new found set. Even I can't remember which does which, so people often end up repeating a search query.
Add to that the fact that some of these reports haven't been used in 5 years... like I said, it's a mess.
Some ideas I'm considering:
- Use drop-down menus to select reports and show a preview image
- Provide a workflow to running reports (select the report you want to run, enter parameters, ...)
Before I dig too deep, I'd like to see examples of how others organize reporting scripts. What has worked for you in the past?