2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2015 12:31 PM by CarstenLevin

FileMaker FP7 to FMP12 standalone converter

CarstenLevin

We used this some years ago, but I would like to know if it is still OK.

We are working with a team who are converting a very large fp7 (FileMaker 11) file to FileMaker 14.

It is indeed a very large solution with many files (actually an entire ERP solution for an international company).

FileMaker 12 Standalone Converter

Does anybody here really know if this will still work. Ideally we would use it on Windows Server 12R2 64 bit.

Best regards

Carsten

• 1. Re: FileMaker FP7 to FMP12 standalone converter
          steveromig

Carsten Levin wrote:

We used this some years ago, but I would like to know if it is still OK.

We are working with a team who are converting a very large fp7 (FileMaker 11) file to FileMaker 14.

It is indeed a very large solution with many files (actually an entire ERP solution for an international company).

FileMaker 12 Standalone Converter

Does anybody here really know if this will still work. Ideally we would use it on Windows Server 12R2 64 bit.

Best regards

Carsten

Needless to say this thing has not been updated or touched in a very long time and an argument could be made that we should take it down. 

With that said, there are some scenarios where the Standalone Converter can still be useful but I am afraid there are an equal number of scenarios where it probably isn't very useful anymore.

If it were me, I'd probably not take any chances and use FileMaker Pro for the conversion project you are describing.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker FP7 to FMP12 standalone converter
            CarstenLevin

Hi Steve,

Thank you for this very clear and understandable answer. We will leave the converter in peace:-) and stick to FileMaker Pro/Adv.

Our problem: We are converting a very large solution with many individual modules and some data/table files (separation model) of 3-5 GB each. When we do it the correct way, converting all the files by putting them in one folder and converting them all together to keep the file references correct FileMaker Pro/Advanced will crash after finishing ... and we will definitely not start with fmp14 files that has gone through a crash.

FileMaker Pro/Advanced 14.

When taking them one by one we have to handle file-references etc afterwards. Not a good process and always the risk that we may forget something or make mistakes.

Best regards

Carsten