14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2016 2:01 PM by beverly

Import Records generates Error Code 714

sastickf

I am trying to Import Records from another FileMaker file in a subscript & it generates Error Code 714 (password privileges do not allow the operation). I am running the subscript with full access privileges and confirmed the account privilege set allows record creation in the target tables. I'm not sure where to start to troubleshoot other than what I have already checked (& mentioned). What setting would/could be generating this error code?  Thank you for your time to respond & help!

• 1. Re: Import Records generates Error Code 714
          wimdecorte

Are you per chance using the data separation model?  In that case the full access setting for the script would be in the UI file and would have no effect on the data file.

• 2. Re: Import Records generates Error Code 714
            sastickf

Yes, I am using the data separation model.  I am importing in other scripts and didn't have this issue, so didn't think of that potential issue.  I will test doing an import using a subscript in the data file(s).

• 3. Re: Import Records generates Error Code 714
              sastickf

You may have gotten me one step closer (thank you!), but my issue is still not resolved...  I tried running the data imports from a script in one of the data files (with full access privileges), but am now getting error code 825 (File is not authorized to reference the protected file).  I am trying to import data from a prior version of the program, but the same file with some modifications made to it.  I have not changed the file access protection/authorization on the solution files since it was originally applied.

• 4. Re: Import Records generates Error Code 714
                wimdecorte

Are you using the file access protection feature on the files?  In that case you'll have to remove it or authorize the file that you are importing into.

• 5. Re: Import Records generates Error Code 714
                  sastickf

Hello wimdecorte,

Thank you again for your helpful suggestion.  I am using file access protection on the files and don't want to remove it.  I am trying to import data from a prior version of each of three files into updated versions.  I didn't have file access protection to the files themselves, and added that, but I am still getting the same errors.  (I did have the files authorized to all the other files in the solution except itself already.)  I do have "Allow Exporting" enabled in the privilege sets, in case that is related somehow.  Do you have any other ideas?

Thank you!

• 6. Re: Import Records generates Error Code 714
                    wimdecorte

sastickf wrote:

I am using file access protection on the files and don't want to remove it. 

seems to contradict

sastickf wrote:

I didn't have file access protection to the files themselves, and added that,

Why don't you remove file access protection on a backup set of the files just to test if that really is the issue?

• 7. Re: Import Records generates Error Code 714
                      sastickf

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I appreciate your suggestions.  I removed the file access protection on the files to test and it didn't resolve my issue.  In the process, I discovered that I didn't have an account with the same name & password in both files that I was importing to/from.  Getting those in place has helped in solving my problem!

I have now built in a script to export the data to txt files (to be imported from them) in the future to avoid the security issues I seem to be having. I also created fields for the Base 64 Encoding of images & files.

Thank you for your help wimdecorte

• 8. Re: Import Records generates Error Code 714
                        sastickf

I thought I had this figured out & then went backwards again this pm, so did some more work.  I think the error code 714 was from not having the same account/password in both files.

I was still getting the error code 825 today & by trying to manually do the import, I determined that I should have added file access protection to each file to itself so that when I try to import from a copy of the file later, it is authorized. Since I already have the files distributed that don't have the file access authorization to itself, I now have to try to figure out a way to get the user's data out to be imported into the updated files (that have field def changes).

• 9. Re: Import Records generates Error Code 714
                          jeffduck

Not sure if you've worked this out yet, but one solution would be to make a copy of the new file (resulting in FileJanuary and FileFebruary) then use File Access Authorization in FileFebruary allowing FileJanuary to access it. Distribute FileJanuary so the old data can be migrated into it. From then on, the data will migrate forward.

You may also want to consider adding some security to your current file before doing this. The threat may be small after adding the File Access feature but you'll still have an old file that ultimately has access to your new files going forward.

I've also found it helpful to pre-authorize a small utility file. This gives me one more file that I can work with or distribute in case of emergency.

• 10. Re: Import Records generates Error Code 714
                            sastickf

Hello Jeff,

Thank you very much for your response.  I actually did go ahead & create a script to export the data to .tab files for import into the updated version.

Your ideas are really good and I will start using the "emergency" utility file idea.  I have a couple questions.

1) When you create a copy of the new file (FileFebrurary), in order for your plan to work, would you need to reset the file access on the new file so that it gets a new ID or do you leave it alone?  I ran into issues with this last week and was just wondering how it worked in the scenario you described.

2) You mentioned distributing FileJanuary (vs. FileFebruary)... at what point would FileFebruary be distributed?

Thank you!

• 11. Re: Import Records generates Error Code 714
                              jeffduck

Sorry for the late reply.

1) Copying or renaming won't create a problem. Once that ID is set, it doesn't change so there's nothing you would need to do.

2) The idea is that you'll have just recently made a copy of your file and after approving access to each other, you send out FileJanuary, then continue development on FileFebruary. As you develop, copies of FileFebruary get saved and one of them eventually goes out. After that point, it's just 'your file' and the data should continue to migrate.

There are situations when things can still get confusing though. Everything I mentioned assumes you have one file that everything else has to work with (your file/FileJanuary/FileFebruary being the one main file). If you ever need access from one of your supplemental files to itself or to another, you would need to consider that in advance.

• 12. Re: Import Records generates Error Code 714
                                sastickf

Hello Jeff,

I apologize for the late acknowledgment of your response.  I really appreciate your help and will keep it in mind for future solutions since I got the one that was an issue resolved.

• 13. Re: Import Records generates Error Code 714
                                  sastickf

I just did a google search for "FileMaker error 714" because I was getting it again in a different solution in which I am trying to move data between files (with file access protection) using the script step "Import Records", and it brought me right to my own posting!

I have discovered that what was causing the error 714 in the UI file is that the privilege set in the data file did not "Allow exporting".  With that exporting privilege turned on (for the relevant privilege sets), I can successfully import data to a different data file while running the script in the UI file.  (The script does not require full access privileges granted to import properly.)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Import Records generates Error Code 714
                                    beverly

yes! with separation (UI & data files), the permission for the data must be on the data file(s). The login Account and Password must match (for automatic pass through), but the privilege sets can be differently named.

Although I try not to get too different (Staff_edit in one can be named Staff_edit in the other), and they can point to different tables, scripts and layouts (as they are in different files!)

beverly