4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2015 11:07 PM by CarstenLevin

Updating a FileMaker Go solution and migrating data to new version

fmdataweb

I'm deploying a FileMaker Go solution that has a built in update mechanism - users can click a button to check for a newer version of the mobile database on the FileMaker Server and it will download the newer version if it exists. This is all working well, however I would like to expand this to include a way to migrate data from the current mobile database to the updated mobile database after it downloads (and replaces the previous one which has the same file name).

I would like to keep the list of files on the device clean so that it doesn't include lots of other files containing data that has been exported, so I'm looking at using the FM Go temp folder to export the data and then import that back in. I'm wondering if anyone has been down this road before and have some suggestions for how to handle migrating data without leaving a trail of files that appear in the list of files on the device?

• 1. Re: Updating a FileMaker Go solution and migrating data to new version
          rgordon

You can not export data out of a FileMaker Go file and then import the data back into a FileMaker Go file because Filemaker Go can not export data in .fmp12 format and FileMaker go can only import data from a .fmp12 File. You will need to just import data from the old file into the updated file.  This option is also easier to do. A trick that you can use to help you accomplish what you want is to delete a file on an iPad by exporting a zero found set of records with the file name of the file you want to delete.

• 2. Re: Updating a FileMaker Go solution and migrating data to new version
            fmdataweb

Thanks for the advice.

Re importing data from the old file into the new file I have a slight problem here - I download the new file which replaces the old file as it has the same name, so there is no longer an old file to import from. I'm wondering if I can save a copy of the file to the FM Go temp location and import from there, or if you have any other suggestions about how to import from an old file into a new file that has the same name?

thanks

• 3. Re: Updating a FileMaker Go solution and migrating data to new version
              rgordon

Rename the file that you download to something like update_file. Then run your import.  After the import use the delete file trick to delete the old file. Use save a copy to make a copy of the update_file with the correct name for the file.  Then delete the update_file. You should end up with a properly named new file with all of your data.  These steps might take a little trouble shooting but I have been using this process to update thousands of fmgo files.

• 4. Re: Updating a FileMaker Go solution and migrating data to new version
                CarstenLevin

Since you are using a FileMaker server to get the new version from, I would consider sending the data from the "old" app to a table on the server and then get the new version and get the data to the "new" version from the server.

This is what we are doing, and we are not letting the user get the new version before the transaction sending the data to the server is done with success.

Best regards

Carsten