7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2015 2:33 AM by KevinSmith

Retain FileMaker Server Schedules and Groups

KevinSmith

The administration console has stopped working on our server: Windows Server 2012 version 6.2 running FileMaker Server 12.02. FileMaker support says to reinstall. I've taken the decision to upgrade to FileMaker Server 14.02 tonight.

I'm unable to use the admin console's Save schedules and groups function. Is there a way to manually copy the settings files over to the new installation?

Thanks Kevin

• 1. Re: Retain FileMaker Server Schedules and Groups
          mikebeargie

Are you able to use FMSADMIN via the command line? Not sure if you're able to obtain the information that way.

If not, it's been a while since I've dived deep into REGEDIT, but I thought I recalled that FMS stored that information in registry keys, so you might be able to back them up there.

• 2. Re: Retain FileMaker Server Schedules and Groups
            wimdecorte

Yep, for FMS12 the info on the schedules is in the registry so you can save that out.  FMS14 does not store them there anymore, they are now in a protected XML file (similar to the Mac plist)

• 3. Re: Retain FileMaker Server Schedules and Groups
              KevinSmith

Thanks Wim and Mike for your rapid responses.

"fmsadmin LIST Schedules" produces a list of all the schedules plus last completed date, next due date and type. So not as detailed as I'd like.

I made a typo Wim, I'm running FMS 13.02 (not 12.02), so no registry info available. I've made a note to myself to always generate a backup using the "Save schedules and groups" whenever I make a change to schedules.

• 4. Re: Retain FileMaker Server Schedules and Groups
                KevinSmith

I preserved the folder "Program Files/FileMaker/FileMaker Server/Admin" before uninstalling FileMaker Server 13. I was hoping that this contained the settings files and would enable me to port across settings to the new install.

I hit a snag with installing FileMaker 14–it would not allow me to proceed due to two port conflicts. I changed plan and did a successful install of FileMaker 13.03. After a full shut-down of FMP Server I swapped in the "Admin" folder from the old installation. The Admin console started without a glitch but only some of the info from the old install was preserved: Name of server and contact details of server admins. The schedules were not retained.

• 5. Re: Retain FileMaker Server Schedules and Groups
                  mikebeargie

What surprises me more is that you couldn't get the admin console to work if you had terminal access to FMSADMIN. I think FMSADMIN RESTART ADMINSERVER is more useful in 13/14, but I wonder what all FMI tech support made you try before resorting to a complete reinstall.

• 6. Re: Retain FileMaker Server Schedules and Groups
                    Markus Schneider

the early versions of FMS13 had an issue with the admin console - hanging/no longer accessible after a while of usage. Restarting the server machine helped - after instaling 13.03, the issue was gone

• 7. Re: Retain FileMaker Server Schedules and Groups
                      KevinSmith

We tried restarts of the FileMaker service and a reboot to no avail. FileMaker support got me to submit a variety of server report data but they were unable to pinpoint any area for fixing.

Besides the admin console not working there was also an error log entry created every minute - "Error 701 Admin Server process has terminated abnormally." Each attempt at starting the admin server process must have taken up resources with the result that routing and other services on the server were getting compromised.

Quite late in the week I discovered the  terminal command "fmsadmin AUTORESTART ADMINSERVER OFF". That got the IT department off my back as the 701 errors stopped.