1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2015 1:10 AM by user19752

Losing partially written posts in Jive

NickLightbody

In the old FM developer site, if you started a post but didn't finish it, and then it disappeared, when you tried to do it again it recovered what had appeared lost.

In Jive this does not seem to happen.

Several times recently I have spent some time writing a post, in this case I had spent half an hour explaining how to do server scripting the right way, than a distraction occurs and when I return my half hour's contribution to the community is gone - never to return - so far as I can see?

This very annoying behaviour appears to discourage substantial posts on technical subjects since one can rarely complete such things without distraction.

OK, I guess I should compose in a test editor and paste it in but that is less likely to occur than my thinking "OK, I help someone on that question" and just replying there and then.

To me this is significant weakness that needs addressing - or perhaps I am missing something and require immediate enlightenment?

Cheers - unhappily - Nick

BTW: I noticed on this post, as a "thread starter", there was a message at the bottom about it having been autosaved. I have never noticed such a message on a "reply"? Perhaps Jive does protect the "thread starter" but not the replies?

• 1. Re: Losing partially written posts in Jive
          mark_baum

Hi Nick,

There definitely is an autosave function in Jive, but you may be right that it only applies to the original document or post and not to comments or replies. I'll look into this and get back to you by the end of the week with what I learn.

Cheers --

Mark

• 2. Re: Losing partially written posts in Jive
            user19752

Auto save is working when replying in a thread

community.filemaker.com/thread/something...

but not in activity

community.filemaker.com/activity

• 4. Re: Losing partially written posts in Jive
              NickLightbody

Thanks 19752!

I think I have lost a post I spent more than a few minutes on three times in the last couple of weeks, in each I was responding on a thread.

When I returned to the thread, and clicked "reply" I hoped I would be asked if I wanted to use my recovered reply or somesuch description, but I got nothing.

Specifically, I use a Magic Mouse, a wonderful thing, sometimes one can unintentionally swipe sideways and loss an incomplete Jive posting - this is generally how my problem arises.

Cheers, Nick

• 5. Re: Losing partially written posts in Jive
                mark_baum

Now that I understand your scenario better, it sounds like a feature request to Jive. Here's what I'm understanding:

1) You write a partial reply.

2) You accidentally hit the Back button on your browser (or swipe horizontally on a Magic Mouse).

3) You go forward again to get back to the thread you were working with.

4) You want to be able to recover your partial reply.

Is that an accurate description, and can you point me towards an online forum where this has been implemented? I'd like to observe the feature in its native habitat :-)

Thanks!

Mark

• 6. Re: Losing partially written posts in Jive
                  NickLightbody

Hi Mark

I can never recall having had this issue with the old FileMaker Developer Forum site, as I think I mentioned before, if you went back to create another reply on the same thread it offered to recover the previous one.

That I think is why this behaviour with Jive is so frustrating.

As a second point: Jive isn't a responsive site - at a time when Mobile first and the responsive web has come rapidly to the fore, it feels rather old fashioned. For convenience I often take a look on my phone when I have a few minutes free and as you will be aware it is not easy to use on a phone. Do you know whether they offer some sort of mobile friendly option to make this a little easier?

Cheers, Nick

• 7. Re: Losing partially written posts in Jive
                    mark_baum

Hi Nick, I don't remember either way about the old FileMaker Developer Forum, and it would help to have an example of this working. Can you point me towards a forum you're using right now where this feature is available?

I hear you loud and clear about your concerns with Jive, and am working hard right now on learning about how it can be improved. I'll be talking to them today -- and while I already have a long list of questions for them, if time permits I'll talk to them about mobility as well.

Cheers --

Mark

• 8. Re: Losing partially written posts in Jive
                      IanJempson

Please don't do anything that moves this back to what the old FileMaker Developer Forum was like. It was one of the most unusable things i'd ever come across on the internet! The current system may have the odd flaw, but it's infinitely better in every possible way.

• 9. Re: Losing partially written posts in Jive
                        mark_baum

Hi Nick,

I haven't tried the Jive Mobile app myself yet, but would you give it a try and report back?

Thanks!

Mark

-----

Connect to Your Community

Follow these steps to visit your community for the first time from your mobile device.

To Connect with an iPhone or Android Native App:

1. Be sure you are using one of the supported mobile devices listed in System Requirements for Mobile.
                        2. Go to the app store on your mobile device and search for "Jive Software".
                        3. Install the app on your device.
                        4. Launch the app.
                        5. Enter the URL of your community.
                        6. Depending on how your community administrator has set up mobile access to your community, you may or may not need a registration code to access your site. If you need one, skip to the instructions below.
                        7. If you don't need a registration code, you will see your community login page after entering your community's URL. Enter your username and password and tap Log in. Remember to uncheck Remember Me if you are using a shared mobile device or just don't want your credentials stored.
                        8. If you want to register another mobile device, just repeat these steps on the new device.

To Connect from a Mobile Web Browser:

1. Be sure you are using one of the supported mobile devices listed in System Requirements for Mobile.
                        2. From your mobile device's built-in browser, go to the URL of your community. Depending on how your community administrator has set up mobile access to your community, you may or may not need a registration code to access your site. If you need one, skip to the instructions below.
                        3. If you don't need a registration code, you will see your community login page. Enter your username and password and tap Log in. Remember to uncheck Remember Me if you are using a shared mobile device or just don't want your credentials stored.
                        4. If you want to register another mobile device, just repeat these steps on the new device.

To Get a Registration Code:

From your primary computer (not your mobile), go to your community and click on your name in the upper right corner and select Preferences > Mobile. Enter a name for your mobile, i.e., Joey's Phone, (alternatively, you can point your mobile at the QR code on the screen if you have QR recognition software) and then click Get Activation Code. You'll then be prompted to point your mobile's built-in browser to an activation URL. From there, enter the activation code and follow the prompts to complete your mobile's registration. Then, from your mobile's built-in browser, enter the URL of your community.

• 10. Re: Losing partially written posts in Jive
                          Markus Schneider

I've checked it out a while back and I found it hard to navigate - harder than using a browser. Today, I gave it another try and it looks quite fine, new version - although still missing one or another feature.

The big plus is the speed! jive forums on Safari is far away from iOS-like, s-l-o-o-o-o-w, mini buttons one always miss, eating battery as if there is no tomorrow...

The mobile app look promising now - there is a manual, but the pdf-link gives an error (was hoping to find sone more info)

• 11. Re: Losing partially written posts in Jive
                            mark_baum

Thanks for report, Markus. I need to make the time to try it myself.

• 12. Re: Losing partially written posts in Jive
                              Markus Schneider

After using the jive mobile app for a couple of hours:

- finding the latest answer is not easy (clicking on 'new posts' jumps to the last one in a thread, but when browsing, I really missed that)

- no profile information (ie 'rank', for what it's worth)

- frame on the right is too big, compared with the 'button-bar' on the left

- as mentioned above, the pdf manual is not available

- how to edit a posting?

- no way to view a thread while posting. I wrote the same arguments twice yesterday...

- can't view the bottom of a posting when the cursor is somewhere in the text above (no scrolling, even closing the keyboard doesn't help, the curir can be placed at the end, but when the keyboard pops up, the text is below the keyboard)

- even worse: Just can't go to the end of the text here

- editing longer postings therefore impossible

- no, I don't want to write postings in an other app..

- that will be the reason to trash the mobile jive app again )-:

So, I have to write this here and not at the end of the text: Did somebody test that thing? can somebody write an issue report? (Yes... no software is perfect...)

+ very good: typing, keyboard, it feels perfect

+ fast

+ native, one gets that the 'iOS-methods' are right

+ the overview is not bad - although some things are missing

I would prefer a layout that is somewhat similar to the webinterface, makes live a lot easier... but when compared with the FileMaker sample on FMS14, thats pretty perfect (means that the sample is awfull, missing content, fields swapped (days remaining..) when one compares webd with fmnet..)

• 13. Re: Losing partially written posts in Jive
                                Markus Schneider

and really no way to edit a posting... is jive from Oracle's Rigth Now?

• 14. Re: Losing partially written posts in Jive
                                  Markus Schneider

and a last one (will trash the app after wrintigng this): When I try to view that longer text from 2 postings above, I can't scroll. The portion of text that is visible will scroll (sloow), but no way to go to the top of that posting..

byebye jive mobile, see You in the next version (maybe)

1 2 Previous Next