7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2015 12:58 PM by Mike Duncan

Windows Server 2012 Foundation

OrkneyIT

Hi

Has anyone tried and successfully loaded FileMaker Server 11 onto Windows Server 2012 Foundation?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Windows Server 2012 Foundation
          wimdecorte

Not supported so why would you want to go there?  If you must move away from Windows 2003 or 2008 then also update your databases.  Your databases are more crucial than the OS so don't put them outside of support parameters.

Also: Foundation only allows for one processor.  That could be a dead-end street if you need the processing power.

• 2. Re: Windows Server 2012 Foundation
            OrkneyIT

I personally don't want to go there - I recently took over another developers clients and this one was reluctant to upgrade to 14 but their 'normal' IT support wants upgrade their server (although why Foundations and not Standard I cannot fathom - I think it is 'penny pinching'). The answer I originally gave them was the standard FileMaker response but they wanted to know if anyone has successfully installed it on that platform - hence my query.

• 3. Re: Windows Server 2012 Foundation
              wimdecorte

But it wouldn't matter if someone has made it to work, right?  It's outside of support parameters.

• 4. Re: Windows Server 2012 Foundation
                Markus Schneider

'outside support parameters' is true - but somehow too 'easy'.

2012R2 is outside as well (for V13) - although almost 2 years on the market. V11 is outside as well - but a lot of solutions here are runing under V11.. What's about Win10 abd FM14?

Every year a new OS, every ~18 months a new FM version (that supports only the latest 2 OSX - too fast, way too fast..)

• 5. Re: Windows Server 2012 Foundation
                  wimdecorte

Markus Schneider wrote:

'outside support parameters' is true - but somehow too 'easy'.

I don't agree with that.  Nobody is forced to update the OS.  And again; why would the OS update be more important than the solution update?

I do agree that with the accelerated pace of OS and FM releases it does put extra stress on keeping the solutions within those support parameters.

• 6. Re: Windows Server 2012 Foundation
                    OrkneyIT

"Nobody is forced to update the OS" ... not totally true. If a PC 'dies' and a new one needs to be sourced it will have a new operating system - and generally easier to go with new system than to format hard drive and then try to reload old OS.

• 7. Re: Windows Server 2012 Foundation
                      Mike Duncan

OrkneyIT wrote:

"Nobody is forced to update the OS" ... not totally true. If a PC 'dies' and a new one needs to be sourced it will have a new operating system - and generally easier to go with new system than to format hard drive and then try to reload old OS.

If this is the case, you may have to go source an older box with supported OS. Servers are different than client software, and require special consideration.

I would also make sure you make your client aware that running in an unsupported configuration may lead to problems, including more of your time to fix something when it breaks. Perhaps they could pay for your time to test an unsupported configuration instead of following the system requirements? Win-win? probably not.