AnsweredAssumed Answered

FM Go: Dynamically Generate Output Text File Name

Question asked by user25682 on Aug 19, 2015
Latest reply on Aug 19, 2015 by user25682

Hi there,

I'm developing a Filemaker based replacement for an outdated inventory scanner system. The current system uses Windows CE scanners to scan a barcode to set the ShowName (different name for each show, can have multiple shows per inventory session), scan the product code, have the user enter the quantity, lather, rinse, repeat. Eventually, the scanner ends up on the desk of our inventory person who downloads the text files to run through a custom piece of software and imports the inventory transactions into NetSuite.

The scanners and software are no longer supported by anyone involved with creating the system.

The text files need to be named ShowName.txt. I've duplicated most of the functionality (and vastly improved some things, as often happens in FMP) so far in FMPro and have the Script exporting the text file in the proper format and with the proper name...on the Mac (using a $filePath example I found). However, this fails on FileMaker Go. That's not surprising, but I can't find any examples of doing this.

For the people who will be using iOS devices, I really need it to be "push button simple". Double check your scans, lock the records, then export the text file(s) and email them. These devices will be used inside of steel structures where there is an obliteration of external radio signals.

Script Steps are as follows:

Set Variable $filePath

Value: Choose ( Abs ( Get ( SystemPlatform ) ) -1 ; Get ( DesktopPath ) & PyroScanner::Show Name & ".txt" ; "filewin:"& Get ( DesktopPath ) & PyroScanner::Show Name & ".txt" )

Export Records $filePath

I just saw that "Show Name" has a space in it. Hmmmm.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jason

Outcomes