1 2 3 Previous Next 33 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2015 9:13 AM by ayescas

Programming Burnout

ayescas

What are some techniques you folks use to prevent burnout ?

• 1. Re: Programming Burnout
          taylorsharpe

Go to Vegas for Devcon and partying on the strip in the evenings <grin>. 

Actually, I'm not much of a drinker or gambler.  So I like to do other things like snowboarding in winter, air wheeling, playing ping pong, or going to the movies, eating out nice food. 

I think once a year IT people should take an entire week off from computer, cell phones, etc.  Maybe go camping with no electronics for a whole week!

• 2. Re: Programming Burnout
            ayescas

Yes sir.....only took 3 days to visit Colorado and hit the trails, but still not 100%. Next time going to take a full week for sure.  So much work and the pressure is draining me....

• 3. Re: Programming Burnout
              rrrichie

Every Tuesday night I go dancing and I always go.  Answers to problems mostly appear after relaxing.

In weekends I dance as well.  Rest of the week I play a lot of guitar, just go out to the park whenever I can. Mainly try to avoid using a computer at home.

On the commute to work I meditate :-) or listen to really nice groovy music.

• 4. Re: Programming Burnout
                Markus Schneider

a couple of times a week, I go out for lunch/coffee - about 20-30+ kilometers - with my bicycle. Breathing fresh air, activating non-brain-functions... helps a lot!

• 5. Re: Programming Burnout
                  TorstenBernhard

In the evening I do cooking - handling real-world stuff like vegetables, spices and all the things you need for good cooking is a real brain-refresher.  Mountain hiking provides physical activity and lots of fresh air - and new ideas.

• 6. Re: Programming Burnout
                    coherentkris

Sailing the Chesapeake Bay every Wed night in a race series does it for me. Last night brought us gusty 25 MPH winds and lots of rain. Have not had that much fun in a long time

• 7. Re: Programming Burnout
                      wimdecorte

Cooking works for me too...

• 8. Re: Programming Burnout
                        mikebeargie

Most of my burnout comes from the non-social environment of working from home. So I do a number of activities to keep me occupied and out of the house.

-Piano Lessons once a week

-tending to my reef aquarium

-Cocoa developers usergroup every two weeks

-monthly movie nights with friends

-date night once a week with the wife

-woodworking at my local makerspace

-brewing (and drinking) beer

-hanging out with sports clubs on the weekend

and more recently, ski trips with taylorsharpe

As for actual programming burnout, I'm fortunate to get such a wide variety of projects from work I don't suffer from "same old syndrome" there. If you do in your workplace though, I would consider freelancing to get a wider variety of projects.

• 9. Re: Programming Burnout
                          DLarsen

Get involved in politics. After watching that sausage being made it won't be long before you will be looking forward to the calm and sanity of programming.

• 10. Re: Programming Burnout
                            MattLeach

Being an in-house developer, I sometimes suffer from what Mike described as the "same old syndrome". I take on the occasional freelance project to mix things up which not only benefits me by having a new objective, but some of the freelance work gives me refreshed ideas on how to add or revamp things with our in-house solutions.

To avoid burnout of everything all together, I make it a point to get out on my mountain or road bike 2-3 times a week, I enjoy fishing and scuba diving at least once a month and set aside one day a week as a family day to enjoy time with my wife and kids without electronics.

• 11. Re: Programming Burnout
                              edpod2101

Woodworking helps me, especially using hand tools rather than power tools.  I find some comfort in knowing that the techniques I use to craft a piece of furniture are 100+ years old and still relevant.  Completely different from coding where the tools and techniques are in a constant state of change. 

• 12. Re: Programming Burnout
                                richardsrussell

This doesn't actually avoid burnout, but I've got a little utility on my Mac called BreakTime, and I've got it set to go off every hour, sound a tone, and dim my screen for 2 minutes to remind me to get up and walk around. Otherwise, I'd just sit there databasing away for hours on end without coming up for air. (Yes, I'm addicted.)

• 13. Re: Programming Burnout
                                  mikebeargie

Sounds a lot like pomodoro as well, which I've used on and off.

• 14. Re: Programming Burnout
                                    Markus Schneider

had that running while low back pain issues, great!

1 2 3 Previous Next