5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2015 4:39 AM by CarstenLevin

Work on Server Files Locally with External Container Data

jimk

Hi!,

I am currently working on a 1-file (multiple-table) application hosted on FileMaker Server 13.

The files include container fields with data stored externally on the server.  The container data is stored externally, but open (not secure).

What are recommended procedures to download the data (and container files), work on the FileMaker application locally, then upload the files back to the server – while maintaining the links to the container data?

I have automatic backups going, and it’s easy to download a zipped copy of the files.  But I want to work on the application before reloading it back onto the server.

(I will be updating to Server 14 soon if that makes a significant difference.)

Your suggestions and comments (including any corrections to my terminology) are welcome.

Thanks,

Jim

• 1. Re: Work on Server Files Locally with External Container Data
          Mike_Mitchell

Switch the storage to internal, download the database. Work locally. Upload and switch back to external storage.

Anything else risks breaking the links between the external containers and the database, which FileMaker will see as "tampering".

• 2. Re: Work on Server Files Locally with External Container Data
            Magnus Fransson

Hmm… That claim sounds wrong to me…

If that were true, how would one recoup from a major system failure using only backups?

But please prove me wrong, if I am.

However, I do agree that switching between internal and external storage, as Mike describes, is the safest way to do it.

Best regards Magnus Fransson.

• 3. Re: Work on Server Files Locally with External Container Data
              Mike_Mitchell

Recovery from backup is not the same thing. You haven't relocated the databases to a different drive structure; you haven't separated the external containers from the databases via a zip-download-unzip process; you haven't then reinstalled the databases over the top of the old databases without also restoring the external files.

I've done this before. I've screwed up production databases thinking I could just move the databases around. This will not work. The internal pointers will be damaged and you WILL regret it.

• 4. Re: Work on Server Files Locally with External Container Data
                wimdecorte

fran55on wrote:

Hmm… That claim sounds wrong to me…

If that were true, how would one recoup from a major system failure using only backups?

But please prove me wrong, if I am.

As Mike said, restoring a backup is not the same thing as downloading a local copy and working on it.  When you restore a backup you just copy the backup into the same location as the original files and everything works fine.

When you download a copy with remote container storage then things are different.  The local path to the RC data is slightly different than the path while hosted.  Easy enough to test by downloading a copy and creating a new record then inserting something in the container.  Check where the new record stores its RC data vs. where the existing ones are.

Instead of downloading the file, why not do you the work on the hosted file?  Set the max number of allowed guests on FMS to 1 so that nobody can interrupt your work.

• 5. Re: Work on Server Files Locally with External Container Data
                  CarstenLevin

My suggestion, assuming you want some of the pictures in a local version that you take online: Have another field that is not set to use external storage. When you want to go online you copy the pictures from the external storage field to the internal storage field.

But please explain a little bit more about the purpose/setup/situation where you need this - and what you want to achieve.

Best regards

Carsten