9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2015 10:42 AM by StephenWonfor

Change in behavior for duplicate record command?

user19174

I have noticed a difference in how Filemaker handles the duplicate record command (ctrl+D) in FM14.

In Filemaker 13 as far as I can tell the Duplicate command always would duplicate the parent record that the layout being viewed is based on.

IN FM14 I have noticed that if a portal row is selected and the relationship allows for creation of records then ctrl+D results in a duplicate portal row.  Has anyone else noticed this change?  I tried a search but didn't find anything relevant.  Fortunately one of my users noticed that a script was acting funny and pointed it out to me before a big mess was made of our data.

Is this a known feature that I had missed or is this a bug?  It is easy enough to work around, but a change like this could make a real mess in a big looping script.

Cheers,

JJ

• 1. Re: Change in behavior for duplicate record command?
          electon

It's not a change. It has been there in 13 already.

Actually it is a very useful feature. It works only if the entire row is selected.

EDIT: As erolst pointed out later, it does not apply to 14.

In 14 it works even if portal row field is active.

<14 down to ???

So if you either click in the portal row ( not in any actual fields on the row ), or when using GoToPortalRow ( Select entire contents ). This is mandatory for the portal row to be duplicated. Otherwise it will do it to the layout table's record.

Sometimes you need to study the manuals or come about by it and then find out how it works.

Consulting scripture not always easy, but still applies.

• 2. Re: Change in behavior for duplicate record command?
            erolst

electon wrote:

It's not a change. It has been there in 13 already.

Actually it is a very useful feature. It works only if the entire row is selected.

That is true for 13; but in 14 the row is also duplicated if a field is entered.

electon wrote:

Sometimes you need to study the manuals or come about by it and then find out how it works.

Right …

• 3. Re: Change in behavior for duplicate record command?
              electon

I often find out.

Go by intuition and when something fails, then study the manuals.

• 5. Re: Change in behavior for duplicate record command?
                keywords

As I often say, when all else fails, read the instructions.

• 6. Re: Change in behavior for duplicate record command?
                  itraining

I can remember duplicating a portal row record in FMP 6 using the CMD/CTRL D keyboard shortcut and the Records:Duplicate command. Similar behaviour with Delete Record. If the portal row was selected or the active field was in the portal row, a dialog would ask if you want to delete the related record or the master (parent) record.

I suspect the behaviour has been consistent since FMP 3 when portals were introduced. Although deleting a portal row no longer provides the option to delete the master record.

Michael Richards

Brisbane (Australia)

• 7. Re: Change in behavior for duplicate record command?
                    user19174

Thanks all for the input.  I have now figured out what the difference is.

In 14 the row is duplicated when you are in a portal row field.

In 13 when you are in a portal row field it would duplicate the master record.

Mystery solved, thanks for the input!  And yes, I know when in doubt RTFM.  I just didn't appreciate the subtlety of selecting a portal row vs selecting a field within a portal row.

• 8. Re: Change in behavior for duplicate record command?
                      StephenWonfor

Hi

Client showed me this today.

His system dates back to FMP5 - been through a lot since then.  He is "responsible" enough to be given real Filemaker menus.  He was running FMP13.

So...one of his procedures involves creating new products then entering locations into a portal.

For years he has entered the location info then pressed Command D to duplicate the record and make a few tweaks to the product - eg. light beige is now moderate beige.  The cursor was always in one of the portal fields.  Parent would duplicate.

Upgraded him to FMP14.

He now reports that, with the cursor in a portal field, that the portal row duplicates but the parent record does not.

I was able to watch this happen.

Made a little sample db from the starter solutions (Estimates) and was able to reproduce this behaviour.  FMP14 would duplicate the portal row, FMP13 would duplicate the parent.  Interestingly in FMP14 the portal will populate with data rows but as soon as the record is committed they vanish.  Looking at the child table I note that the match field does not get a value but many orphan records are created.

This does not seem to be an "Expected" behaviour.  The portal row is NOT selected.

Stephen

• 9. Re: Change in behavior for duplicate record command?
                        StephenWonfor

Made a little sample db from the starter solutions (Estimates) and was able to reproduce this behaviour.  FMP14 would duplicate the portal row, FMP13 would duplicate the parent.  Interestingly in FMP14 the portal will populate with data rows but as soon as the record is committed they vanish.  Looking at the child table I note that the match field does not get a value but many orphan records are created.

This does not seem to be an "Expected" behaviour.  The portal row is NOT selected.

Oops.  Caught caught out by a flock of script triggers.  Row copy works as now expected.