6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2015 11:30 AM by mikebeargie

Online Schedule Search

wcormode

I work in a high school and we moved to a rotating schedule this year. We have ABCD days that are on a four day rotation. The hours we have each day are A Day(1,2,3,5,6,7),B Day (2,3,4,6,7,8), C Day(3,4,1,7,8,5), and D Day(4,1,2,8,5,6). This allows us to offer more classes and electives. Parents are concerned about making appointments and knowing when to schedule so kids do not miss more important classes. (They would rather the child missed PE than Algebra)

I am brand new to using File Maker Pro. We have File Maker Pro and the File Maker Server.

I was hoping that there was a way that I could create an embedded tool on our school webpage or even a standalone site linked from the school webpage that would help me out. Bonus points if it works well on mobile devices.

What I want is for the parent/teacher/student be able to search a time and see what type of day and what hour it would be in the day. In a perfect world the parents can personalize it and actually see what class the student in question would be in, but I do not want to have to manage and create logins for people. An alternative would be that someone could add other types of searches like teacher name or class name.

This has to be easy for the general public.

On the server side I want it to be easy for me to go in and change when certain days appear. If a B day is Tuesday and Tuesday gets cancelled because of snow then the next time we have school will be a B day. This will push every day back for the rest of the year. I would like to be able to fix this with only a click or two.

• 1. Re: Online Schedule Search
          mikebeargie
          In a perfect world the parents can personalize it and actually see what class the student in question would be in, but I do not want to have to manage and create logins for people.

Having access to that level of student data (knowing which student will be where at a specific time), without having a high level of security, or even the thought of that security, makes me cringe at my desk here.

If you just want to display available classes on specific days based on a calendar and template, fine, pretty simple with custom web publishing and a bit of web development.

If you tie it at all to student data, you need a security plan.

• 2. Re: Online Schedule Search
            wcormode

Thats why I said in a perfect world. Since we don't live in one of those I know that it wouldn't work. It was basically a throw away sentence that I should have left out. Just a baseline for where the limit would be.

The entire rest of the post was focused on just searching the type of day and possibly class names. No security issues there as it is all publicly available. I have no idea where to begin with this though because my knowledge of FileMaker Pro is that it exists and I can search the inventories that my predecessor created.

• 3. Re: Online Schedule Search
              mikebeargie

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure you were aware that there are serious implications of tying private data to the web.

I'd recommend that you find a local filemaker developer usergroup in your area:

FileMaker User Groups

Or hire a consultant that can either mentor you or do the work for you:

FileMaker Consultants, Data Consultants, Database Consultants

Unless you're an experienced web developer or have some filemaker experience, then it will be hard to explain the steps required to begin publishing your schedule to the web.

• 4. Re: Online Schedule Search
                DanielShanahan

Hi wcormode,

You say you're new to FileMaker Pro.  What about other technologies like PHP or Javascript?  I think you'll need some of those skills to pull the day (ABCD) from FMP to the web.

• 5. Re: Online Schedule Search
                  wcormode

I have some very limited basics. I may keep searching for some other solution. I was hoping that there was some very simple way to port it.

I may end up creating an Excel file that an be downloaded.

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Online Schedule Search
                    mikebeargie

WebDirect is an easy way to port it if you have filemaker development experience.

Custom Web Publishing is the easiest way to port it if you have web app development experience (EG PHP)

Easiest and fastest would be to hire a consultant to do the work for you. But I realize that budgets are often restrained pretty heavily in school districts.