3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2015 2:47 PM by mardikennedy

FM Go reconnect - data plan charges?

mardikennedy

Let's say a user is in a wifi hotspot and using a hosted db, that might include some chunky consumption.  (For the moment, let's not get distracted with latency issues.)  User walks away and the connection drops.  Outside of the hotspot, auto-reconnect occurs (theoretically).

Question:  does the further usage default to the user's mobile data plan (ie no longer that wifi hotspot), without any warning?  (In the Aust environment, if the auto-reconnect occurs, this would seem likely but I could be wrong; it may function differently elsewhere, with different service providers.)

It seems more likely to me that the feature would be provider-agnostic and therefore that there would be billing implications. (FTR, a while back I was downloading an iOS update; forgetfully went out to buy milk; ended up with a significant bill.  The provider was very nice about it, plus I changed plan but it made me realise that someone else could have the same kind of problem.)

In this case, I'm trying to guesstimate potential user dissatisfaction (bill shock followed by venting to me), before any adverse event has actually occurred.  So nice to sidestep problems if at all possible!

• 1. Re: FM Go reconnect - data plan charges?
          schamblee

All the ios device I've used display 3g, 4g or LTE in the status bar when the device is not on wifi. 

How old are your clients ? 10...They probably don't need to be on the internet in the first place.

• 2. Re: FM Go reconnect - data plan charges?
            TSPigeon

mardikennedy:

Thank you for your post.

I have tested and confirmed that if you are connecting remotely with an external address and you are disconnected from WiFi while Data is enabled it will attempt to reconnect.

Other than setting an idle time there is no good way, as far as FileMaker is concerned, to determine whether a client is connected using WiFi or Data.

I recommend entering this suggestion into the Feature Requests Web Form.

I hope this information is of use!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FM Go reconnect - data plan charges?
              mardikennedy

Hi TSPigeon,

Thank you so much for checking that.  It occurred to me after I posted that perhaps the v13 function, Get(NetworkType) could be my friend here as some kind of trigger.  Perhaps the feature request is that if, on reconnecting, there's a shift from wifi etc to the data plan provider, that the user gets the option to continue or not.  I'll submit this later in the day (unless others come up with better ideas in the interim!)

Regards, Mardi Kennedy