1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2015 11:17 PM by CarstenLevin

WebDirect - cost for connections

Markus Schneider

this was discussed before and I got the impression that the cost per connection doesn't seem to be a factor..

Yesterday, I discussed a possible webd solution with a customer who needs about 15 connections (3 packs, maybe 4) - but mostly, the traffic would be relatively low, the solution itself would be simple - but effective.

They are also in discussion with another company that does php/websolutions - and I'm out.. the licence fees (plus, the hardware for this  kind of usage has to be replaced, probably..) are almost over the budget (with a server and 3 connection packs and a few clients for inhouse work).

Would be very nice. if there would be another licence-model - the 'concurrent' model does not fit here (maybe 2 times a year high traffic, the rest of the year low traffic)

• 1. Re: WebDirect - cost for connections
          CarstenLevin

Hi Markus,

Consider opting for CWP in some cases.

Find a good local PHP shark to work with if you are not the expert here. If the task is well define with description of screens and functionality many such solutions can be build very fast. Performance is great and the PHP/JavaScript used is standard methods known by myriads of young programmers.

Best regards

Carsten

• 2. Re: WebDirect - cost for connections
            mardikennedy

We also have a WD costing problem - it would be nice to find out if it's the same for other AVLA customers in other parts of the world.

In our case, we get a good price on the annual renewal fee for each of our FMP licences (approx. 150 - 200, at govt rates) but the WD component is very unattractive.  We've requested quotes (on multiple occasions, over 6 months in the hope that the figures would change) for WD connections because we would like to migrate from our FMS v12 install before too much longer.  However, as we have a few IWP solutions among the mix, we would need to switch those to WD, and therefore we need to be able to calculate the connection costs ahead of time, as far as possible.

Sadly, the annual, per connection, WD connection fee still works out to 140% of an annual FMP licence. (And doesn't provide Excel exports or 'one step' printing.)  It is, therefore, very hard to argue the case in the corporate environment, to choose this more expensive alternative.

Are other AVLA clients also charged 140% for WD relative to FMP licences?

• 3. Re: WebDirect - cost for connections
              CarstenLevin

Remember: CWP is very efficient, very fast and for virtually unlimited number of users ... and free with FileMaker Server out of the box.

I low WebDirect but this does not make me forget our old friend CWP.

• 4. Re: WebDirect - cost for connections
                Markus Schneider

will keep that in mind! But at the moment, it is not the alternative (different reasons, ie hoster, customer's own IT, etc.). Webd would be very elegant - but the price is problematic here

• 5. Re: WebDirect - cost for connections
                  Markus Schneider

I have to insist..

A client who has iwp (FM11) in use wants to go for 14. Now they realized that the cost for 5 connections was increased from about 240.- to 360.- (Swiss Francs). In the US, a full client costs about 280 (Swiss Francs).. customer called that ridiculus )-:

there is no easy way to go for cwp

• 6. Re: WebDirect - cost for connections
                    Benjamin Fehr

… and there's no reason why any FM-License costs much more in Switzerland than in the US!

• 7. Re: WebDirect - cost for connections
                      Fred(CH)

It is indeed a hard topic. We obviously have to consider WebDirect as a new product and IWP as a discontinuated feature.

And as all discontinuations, it is touchy. Of course the new product is far better than the lost feature, but touchy because the price have nothing to do with, and, in a really minor way, because the new feature only comes with FMS.

By the way, we also can consider that the price's raising were more hard between 12 to 13 than from 13 to 14.

And since v11 will not be supported in September 25, i am wondering if you could, during a transition time, and only for this particular project, order the upgrade to v14 without WD connection and simultaneously ask your Sale representative for a v12 (like for old infrastructure reasons).

Just thinking out loud…

• 8. Re: WebDirect - cost for connections
                        Fred(CH)

An just to add one argument for you Markus, IFAIK, IWP had not been officially deprecated in v12, letting the developers start new projects on it without any warning...

• 9. Re: WebDirect - cost for connections
                          CarstenLevin

An just to add one argument for you Markus, IFAIK, IWP had not been officially deprecated in v12, letting the developers start new projects on it without any warning...

I am not sure, do not remember. Was IWP just suddenly declared "dead" and then you could not use it any more, or could we keep our FileMaker 12 server running with 13 clients if we wanted to continue using IWP?

• 10. Re: WebDirect - cost for connections
                            Fred(CH)

Mmmh… why "OR" ?

I would answer yes to both, the latter under certain conditions but...

• 11. Re: WebDirect - cost for connections
                              Markus Schneider

PRoblem here is, that iPads are part of the game and Go14 won't work with server12 anymore.

Plus, we defined the costs for an update under V13. Price for a connection was increased by 50% (wasn't correct in my previous posting: 360.- per connection, 1800.- for a pack)

AND: One connection here costs more than a full client in the US, nb a client that can 'print' (compared to a web-client)..

Since the current solution is 'pure' FileMaker (iwp), a superuser (customer) is able to do some minor changes on the db - therefore, cwp is not an alternatve at the moment.

ONce in a week (maybe every 2 weeks), workers from 'Off the Office' have to enter their data. Then, several users need to connect more or less at the same time. Rest of the week, there is very low traffic over web access. That's the problem with the current 'concurrent' model

Could be the end for iPads here, those devices are expensive - additional 360.- for the use with FileMaker (same company..), that's maybe too much.. Not just the end for iPads - why working with a 'thin' client that costs more than a full client (in other countries)? Why paying for separate layouts, separate functions?

• 12. Re: WebDirect - cost for connections
                                Fred(CH)

Markus Schneider a écrit:

PRoblem here is, that iPads are part of the game and Go14 won't work with server12 anymore.

Wasn't aware of that... strange... even with a 12.0v9 FMS ?

• 13. Re: WebDirect - cost for connections
                                  mardikennedy

<why working with a 'thin' client that costs more than a full client>

Not just Switzerland, also Australia, although here the more dramatic price differential (i.e. WD costs more than FMP, 140% of FMP cost) is charged to AVLA customers and 'upgraders'  (i.e.,  those who already have 'skin in the game').  If you were to get completely new licences, then those are probably slightly more $ than a WD connection.

• 14. Re: WebDirect - cost for connections
                                    CarstenLevin

Here in Denmark a connection cost less than a FileMaker Pro client. And while a FileMaker pro client must only be used by one person the connections are counted as concurrent.

The FileMaker price model may be different in Switzerland and in other countries, but I find it difficult to recognize the description given here.

Best regards

Carsten

1 2 Previous Next