11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2013 4:07 PM by njem

"another user is sharing files" error won't go away

njem

Title

"another user is sharing files" error won't go away

My server blinked off because my battery back up is too old. WHen I fired it back up it shows no disk errors but FM now has the error "FileMaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using FileMaker Pro on the computer." I've looked through the other posts here on it and try all those options. I'm don't have IPv6 on the system, I've replaced the two .pem files, I've logged on as another user so any user specific temp files would not be an issue. I also fetched a backup of my db file and no difference. I need to get past this error. Surely some programmer in FM can look in the code and see what triggers that error?

Server 2003 enterprise up to date

FM pro (not server) was 11.02 and I ran the update to 11.03

Restarted the server, checked for anyone else logged on or any other system with any fm files open. This is after hours so there was no one else there to log on anyway.

• 1. Re: "another user is sharing files" error won't go away
          philmodjunk

Do you use Open Remote.... to connect to the files on your server? (If not, you should. Directly accessing the file on the server can damage the file.)

Have you checked your files for possible corruption?

If you haven't checked them for damage, you may want to recover the file and test the recovered copy to see if the recovered copy has the same issue.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: "another user is sharing files" error won't go away
            njem
            I haven't even gotten as far opening from a remote system. This is just the local server copy of FM opening the db files which are on the server so that this copy of FM can then share the files with others. (Yes they open remotely normally but obviously can't right now since FM won't share the files. No, no other system is opening the files now, directly or otherwise.) Remember I pulled a backup copy of the db from before this problem showed up. So no, corruption is not it. I did run recovery on the current file just to see if it found any errors. it didn't. I'll ask again, there has to be programmers at FM who can look in the code and see where this error message is and what triggers it.
            • 3. Re: "another user is sharing files" error won't go away
              philmodjunk

Sorry, missed your reference to pulling a back up copy. If you move the file to a different machine, does it open normally? If so, you may need to re-install FileMaker on your server.

• 4. Re: "another user is sharing files" error won't go away
                njem

You guys have got to get a handle on this. It has started working again for no reason. I had not done anything else with it. FM was not open in the meantime. The server had been in use for other things. I just tried it for the heck of it and it ran.

We only need this db occasionally at the moment. A month ago there were numerous people in it all day, entering data as people called in to give it to them, volunteers entering data. If it had been down for a day during that time it would have been chaos.

• 5. Re: "another user is sharing files" error won't go away
                  philmodjunk

Given the nature of what created the issue in the first place, it would be a good idea to use the appropriate utilities to check out your entire system for problems that may have been created when the power failed.

This may not really have anything to do with Filemaker. If this is a windows system, for example, you may have a problem in your registry. In either system the hard drive may have issues. Giving your system a thorough top to bottom check out would be a wise precaution and should this problem continue, it will at lease allow you to rule out some potential causes.

• 6. Re: "another user is sharing files" error won't go away
                    njem
                    I agree and I have, but then again neither the server nor windows miraculously healed itself that FM just started working again, FM being the only thing that had a problem. From reading the posts on this, this keeps coming up and doing this might have fixed it this time or doing that might have fixed it that time, or it just went away as it sometimes does, and FM doesn't seem to know the root of it so it just continues. It's very worrisome to me that if FM doesn't nail it down then it's just a problem that could show up again at a very bad time. I'm sure everyone who's had this would have their confidence in FM greatly improved to find an update that says the problem has been identified and fixed.
                    • 7. Re: "another user is sharing files" error won't go away
                      njem

I agree and I have, but then again neither the server nor windows miraculously healed itself that FM just started working again, FM being the only thing that had a problem. From reading the posts on this, this keeps coming up and doing this might have fixed it this time or doing that might have fixed it that time, or it just went away as it sometimes does, and FM doesn't seem to know the root of it so it just continues. It's very worrisome to me that if FM doesn't nail it down then it's just a problem that could show up again at a very bad time. I'm sure everyone who's had this would have their confidence in FM greatly improved to find an update that says the problem has been identified and fixed.

• 8. Re: "another user is sharing files" error won't go away
                        philmodjunk

I haven't seen any reports that match what you describe here with this specific error message. Since sharing is an application setting, it may be something that is stored in application preferences and this is a file that can be updated by the application in a number of ways. Any one of those updates may have corrected the problem for you. Please note that I neither work for Filemaker nor am a programmer, I'm just speculating on this problem may have self corrected.

"I only have this problem with Filemaker" doesn't really confirm that this issue is with FileMaker as the FileMaker app may be accessing a system file or hard drive location that none of your other applications.

If you feel that this is a software bug, you are welcome to use the Report an Issue section of this forum to report it.

• 9. Re: "another user is sharing files" error won't go away
                          davewightman

I have the same problem with one FMP 10A solution only. All my other solutions open fine without error. I get the "another user" error every time I open this particular file. I am running Mavericks but I can restart into Lion. When I do that the file opens fine with no alert message. I have reinstalled FMP 10A on my Mavericks  OS to no avail. I have tried various combinations of settings in the FMP Network Sharing dialog but nothing works. Strangely enough, even when I pull the ethernet cable and shut off the WiFi I still get the error. But maybe there's a clue here, when I reinstalled FMP 10A I was offered a choice of where to install it which included a remote server which I connect to from time to time but was not connected to at the time I was reinstalling. So somewhere in prefs or elsewhere on my HD there is a file which is remembering that I once shared with this server and thinks it's using the FMP file when it clearly isn't. How can I fix this?

• 10. Re: "another user is sharing files" error won't go away
                            davewightman

Solved. I put the file in the Shared user folder and then accessed it from another user on my Mac. I still got the error. I then went back to the original file in my own Home folder and tried again. Still got the error. I figured the problem had to be in the FMP solution file itself. I then looked at the FMP File/Sharing menu settings. I made sure all three Sharing settings (Filemaker Network, Instant Web Publishing and ODBC/JDBC were set to Off and No User and saved that way by clicking OK. This solved the problem and I no longer get the error message.

• 11. Re: "another user is sharing files" error won't go away
                              njem

Dave, thanks for this. Haven't run into the problem lately but I'm sure I will again and knowing the solution will be a great help.