12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2013 9:14 PM by ArturAnd

"Comments" field information is limiting to 4 rows

ArturAnd

Title

"Comments" field information is limiting to 4 rows

Hello dear forumers,

I have browsed through the forum searching for the answer, but I still can not handle the issue, though I thought that maybe it is time to turn to you this time.

We are currently using the workers ID database template granted by the FileMaker program. Until recently we didn't needed to insert information about worker containing more than 4 rows in the "Comments" section. Now, when we found, that more information has to be inserted, the comments field is limiting us to the rows count and inserted information can not be printed nor exported to pdf for the further usage outside PC. 

Question is, how do I alter the number of rows in the comment field to be exported/printed?

I will strongly appreciate all of the upcoming help.

Kind Regards,

Artur

• 1. Re: "Comments" field information is limiting to 4 rows
          misham

Can you share what is the "field Type" of your comment field? Which OS/FileMaker version you are using?

Thanks
               Misha Mahto
               Software Developer
               http://mindfiresolutions.com
               FileMaker 11 Certified Developer

• 2. Re: "Comments" field information is limiting to 4 rows
            ArturAnd

Hi there misha mahto,

The Field type is Text

• 3. Re: "Comments" field information is limiting to 4 rows
              misham

Hi Arthur

When we enter data in a text field and data can not be dispalyed within the area of the textbox, there comes a scrollbar in the browse mode, but in the preview mode or pdf generated only data which will fit into the width and height of the text box will be displayed.

So, If I am getting it correct then maybe this is a simple layout issue and you can consider increasing the height of the textbox.

Thanks
                   Misha Mahto
                   Software Developer

• 4. Re: "Comments" field information is limiting to 4 rows
                ArturAnd

misha mahto, I actually have managed to move "Comments" area from "Personnel Information" tab onto separate tab. Now it fits more text, as this field is wider, but still, it is not a solution, because if I have to input more information, which will expand the 4 lines limitation, everything expanding these limits, will be cut off.

Maybe you have any idea of how could I edit the maximum lines limits or any workaround? Thanks.

• 5. Re: "Comments" field information is limiting to 4 rows
                  misham

Can you show how your data looks in the browse mode or preview box in the comment box? It is also not very clear what exactly you want to do.

Thanks
                       Misha Mahto
                       Software Developer

• 6. Re: "Comments" field information is limiting to 4 rows
                    philmodjunk

A single text field can actually store huge amounts of text. I've copied and pasted entire chapters of a book I am writing into a single text field--multiple pages of text pasted into a single field--so it is not clear where/how you are encountering a "4 rows" limit to the text in this field.

Perhaps you are printing from a different layout and it is limited to a height of 4 rows of text?

• 7. Re: "Comments" field information is limiting to 4 rows
                      misham

Yes, exactly row height limitation can be the reason for this issue.

Thanks
                           Misha Mahto
                           Software Developer

• 8. Re: "Comments" field information is limiting to 4 rows
                        ArturAnd

Hello  PhilModJunk, Hello  misha mahto

Thank you for your responses.

The new working week begun and I continue the fight with the information limitation in the Comments field :)

You have asked for visual explanation of the issue, so I attach the printscreen, in which you can see both - "Browse Mode" and "Printable View" onto which it is seen, that only first 4 lines are being printed/exported. 

If you still think it is caused due to limit of a row height, please get me details how to edit that and remove limitations, I'll indeed be thankful. And if you have any other ideas of how to fix that problem, you are welcome to share your knowledge.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
                        Artur

•           

•                      
                          •           

• 9. Re: "Comments" field information is limiting to 4 rows
                          hbrendel

You also have to make the field bigger in the layout 'Printable Personnel Rec...'.

<Sigh>

• 10. Re: "Comments" field information is limiting to 4 rows
                            GuyStevens

Hey Arthur.

You have to remember that you have two different layouts. One that's used for data entry and one that's used fot printing.

You need to change both if you want the print to print a larger comments field.

You need to go to your "Printable Personnell" layout and go into Layout mode.

Then you can select the comment field and see how big it is. It's probably only 4 lines high.

You need to make that bigger (higher) keeping in mind that you don't want to make it go past your page boundaries.

Then look at it in Preview mode to see if more text has appeared.

If you run into any problems make sure to let us know.

We've all been stumped by things that turned out to be quite simple before.

• 11. Re: "Comments" field information is limiting to 4 rows
                              JimMac

I looked up the FMP12 solution and the Layout named "Printable Personal Record" will limit  what can be Printed on a paper page.  In other words, as DaSaint said in another way, "What you see, is what you print!" in the Preview mode.

1) There is no "Export" it is the same field in both layout views.  The contents are what you put in it.

2) There is no "Restriction" to remove, other than printable paper size and expand the Printable Comment field size.

3) This is a guess from close inspection of your comments... it appears you are saving information that is more like pay dates and not Comments.

You appear to be using the Comment field with data that will continue to grow.  You might consider adding an new Table of Fields to the Employee.  If i am guessing correctly, then you can print many pages of records which will not be limited to the Comment field sizing.

Or...

If it is just comments, then create a new Table for just many comments. Each comment is a record related to a single Employee.  Then you can print a second or more page of many comment records.

Jim...

• 12. Re: "Comments" field information is limiting to 4 rows
                                ArturAnd

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your vast responses! This forum prooved itself to be a realm of people ready for help :)

As DaSaint earlier mentioned, this issue prooved to be very simple and lightly solveable. What I did, was simply widening the Comments field margins in the "Printable Personnell" layout. I also attach the printscreen of the area being widened, just in case anyone in the future would stumble upon the same question and will be looking for answers.

Jim Gurley, you guessed very closely, those are actually to be a payment change report, and that happens to be not that often of updating the info, as pay dates, for instance. On the other hand, I like the idea of adding the Table of Fields to separate employee in the layout. I believe, I will make a use of it in near future for the other records, Thank you for sharing.

In fact, I owe you a Big Thanks for your help. You solved the issue I was banging my head over and over for quite a bite of time. You are the best!