3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2015 1:40 PM by philmodjunk

"Conditional" Conditional Value Lists

Scott Van Nostrand

Title

"Conditional" Conditional Value Lists

I'm trying to make a search screen that uses a "variable" conditional lists. In other words, think like this. I have a Search layout that has conditional value lists for Customer, Project, Project ID, and Serial Number. All of these data elements are located in the same table and I've created a self joins to make the conditional lists work - as long as you work from top down, Customer first (from a list of many), then Project (from a filtered list of "Customer"), Project ID (single entry - matches Project) then serial numbers (list of many per Project).

Is there a way to make the previous drop down list conditional so that if I wanted to search by Project ID only, I just selected that drop down and it displays all project IDs, then I can select one of that Projects' Serial Numbers from the Serial Number field. Click go and it does the find.

Ideas?

Thanks

Scott

• 1. Re: "Conditional" Conditional Value Lists
          philmodjunk

What you describe is what I call a "hierarchical conditional value list" where the value in field 1 filters the values in Field 2, that then filters the values in field 3....

I have worked out a more advanced form of this hierarchical set up that does not require that you select values in all the preceding fields of the "chain".

For working examples and a detailed explanation of how they work, see:

"Adventures in FileMaking #1 - Conditional Value Lists"

This file has examples of 10 different conditional value lists. The first Hierarchical conditional value list has the same limitations that you have discovered. But the latter examples explore ways to produce a more flexible system where selecting a value in field 2 when field 1 is empty produces  a list of all possible values since no value was selected in field 1 to serve as a limiting filter.

• 2. Re: "Conditional" Conditional Value Lists
            Scott Van Nostrand

Excellent excellent file...I think hierarchical conditional value list II is very close but my reservation is that I'll have 30,000 "cites" (in my case UNITS). And I add new ones with ODBC imports every day.  Will explore this in the next few days.

Thanks

Scott

• 3. Re: "Conditional" Conditional Value Lists
              philmodjunk

30,000 values shouldn't keep this from working, but may make (what I understand to be) your concept of an HC Value list where you can skip entering data in a preceding field in the "chain" impractical when the result becomes 1000's of values popping up in one massive value list.

You may find "Adventures in FileMaking #2 - Enhanced Value Selection" a better source of ideas. It explores and demonstrates ways to search out and select values from a list that go beyond what a mere value list can do. There's a link to this file on the Additional Resources page of Adventures #1 as well as the link that I've added here.