4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2010 10:14 AM by philmodjunk

"Database not found"

chris1

Title

"Database not found"

I am new to FileMaker and am taking over maintenance of a number of FileMaker 6 databases. They are all published to the web for our internal customer. I am attemting to alter a couple of web pages that access one of the databases and changed the html to point to a test version of one of the databases.  Whenever the web page attempts to access the database, I get a "Database not open. Unable to process your request because the database ... is not open. Does the test databse need to be initialized before I can access it through a web interface?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: "Database not found"
          philmodjunk

It needs to have been opened by FIlemaker first. Has it been? I forget the details for this old of a version of filemaker, but you also need to properly configure the file for web publishing.

Check the plug in and network (or sharing) settings on the original file and compare them to your test file.

• 2. Re: "Database not found"
            chris1

I have opened the test database with filemaker and I am pretty sure it is configured for web publishing (the setting under sharing are set to "Multi-user/Web Sharing". These are the same setting as my production database.

When I open the test database it says "You are about to become the host of the multi-user file ... which resides on a remote volume. This may result in slower performance ... Proceed to open the file anyway?".  WHen I select yes I get the following message before the database opens: "Opening as multiuser to allow guest access over TCP/IP".

I do not get that message when I open the production database. I get("You are a guest of this file being shared by 'my server name' using TCP/IP".

Might it be that the web server needs to have the file open to access it via a web page?

• 3. Re: "Database not found"
              chris1

Would I have to do something in the hosts preferences when I have the open file dialog open? Thanks for your help.

• 4. Re: "Database not found"
                philmodjunk

I only did a little web publishing and that was with an older version than Filemaker 6, but I recognize those messages:

"You are about to become the host of the multi-user file ... which resides on a remote volume. This may result in slower performance ... Proceed to open the file anyway?".  WHen I select yes I get the following message before the database opens: "Opening as multiuser to allow guest access over TCP/IP".

That indicates that your file is not open by either filemaker or filemaker server. Since the file is apparently on a different computer's hard drive from the computer where you are using filemaker to open it. It warns you that opening the file this way can exhibit slower performance.

"You are a guest of this file being shared by 'my server name' using TCP/IP".

This indicates that the file is already open and hosted by Filemaker server.

You should place your test database in the correct directory on your server so that filemaker server can open it. Then test to see if it is accessible.