4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2010 9:21 AM by ShawnAmann

"Digital Signature" or approval

ShawnAmann

Title

"Digital Signature" or approval

In my organization POs need to be approved before being submitted. Currently I created a pdf that the admins fill in, email to the appropriate person who sign with a digital signature and email back. Fairly automated, but as I am adding Purchasing functionality to my database, I want the ability to have it without adobe being involved. 

I do not need an actual signature, just an approval. So for example the admin would create the PO record. The approver would be able to see a list of pending POs and approve them.

How I imagine Filemaker handling this based on what I have come across so far is Perhaps just a check box they have to click, and a field that captures the user & timestamp of the approver. Without the check box being filled, the admin would not be able to print or export the record, etc. The check box would only be able to be accessed by a particular privilege set. 

Is this a viable way of doing things. Is there a better solution within filemaker, or perhaps a cheap plugin?

Thanks 

• 1. Re: "Digital Signature" or approval
          philmodjunk

An auto-enter calculation should do the trick:

If ( Not IsEmpty ( CheckBoxField ) ; Get ( AccountName ) & " " & Get ( CurrentTimeStamp) ; "" )

You might consider two such fields, one for the account name and one for the timestamp as that makes the entered data easier to work with. There's an option that goes with auto-entered calculations: "Do not replace existing value". You can try this out with the option selected and de-selected to see which works better for you in this case.

You can use access privileges to keep users with the wrong privilege set from editing records that have been "signed" in this fashion.

• 2. Re: "Digital Signature" or approval
            ShawnAmann

I am wondering how to implement this. I understand how to check for their access privlages. how do I go about changing them however. eg The person can create Purchase orders under their privledge level. Once a supervisor approves it, how do I turn that access off? 

Does each field need a calculation that checks if approved, then locks the field? How do you lock it?

• 3. Re: "Digital Signature" or approval
              philmodjunk

In filemaker help, find the article: Editing record access privileges

Read the entire article, paying close attention to the sub-section titled "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis"

• 4. Re: "Digital Signature" or approval
                ShawnAmann

Ah, I see it now. You need to choose limited in order to be able to define the calculation. Many Thanks.