7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2008 9:33 AM by TSGal

"File is Not Modifiable" but I have full access! Help!

caitlin

Title

"File is Not Modifiable" but I have full access! Help!

A couple days ago I opened Filemaker Pro 9, and I now cannot add or modify any information in my files! The day before it was working just fine. I have no idea what happened. When I try to add or alter information on ANY file in the database, an alert pops up and says "Action cannot be performed because this file is not modifiable". I've checked filemaker and I have full access (able to read and write), and I've also check my computer (a Mac) and I am fully able to read and write on that too.

I tried recovering the database, and that worked (I was then able to modify and add data), but after I restarted my computer I was not able to add or modify any information on the recovered database either! As well, I tried to delete the recovered version of the database (because it wasn't working) and an altert poped up that says that the "Operation cannot be performed because the item is in use". This appeared when I tried to delete the original database as well. When I tried deleting them, they were NOT in use and I ensured that they were fully closed down before I tried it.

If anyone can help me in any way, I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much in advance! 

• 1. Re: "File is Not Modifiable" but I have full access! Help!
          TSGal

caitlin:

Thank you for your post.

This is difficult to determine what exactly is causing this error.  This is either an OS related issue or a database corruption issue.

See if the file is locked (Get Info) or if the directory is set to read only.  If that isn't the case, do you have access to another machine?  If so, move the file over there and try it again.

Now, you were able to recover the file, and FileMaker then allowed you to modify information, but the next day it stopped.

Save a clone of the file, and then attempt to use the clone and add records.  If so, then import the records from the other database file.

If there is still a problem, I would like to see a copy of the file.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the cloned file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: "File is Not Modifiable" but I have full access! Help!
            JeffIsHereToo

There may be some permissions issue that needs to be resolved.  I would run Disk Utility and repair permissions. Do it until either nothing comes or just a few sync files etc. are left over and over.

The permissions issue doesn't have to be where you think it would be, where the files reside, instead it can be where FileMaker's prefs are, or where it creates a scratch file, etc., so who knows what could be causing it.

Agreed, a quick check would be to move it to another CPU if possible, but if not I suspect running permissions repair will fix it.

Knock on the LCD! 

• 3. Re: "File is Not Modifiable" but I have full access! Help!
              davidanders

I would suggest downloading, installing and running AppleJack.

It does HD repair without rebooting from another drive.

http://applejack.sourceforge.net/

About AppleJack

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=2005041817191411

• 4. Re: "File is Not Modifiable" but I have full access! Help!
                caitlin

Thanks so much for your reply. The database was not locked (not read only), and unfortunately I don't have access to another machine. I think that the database is corrupted or have some sort of damage to it. I created a new database and imported the files from the original database that wasn't working (to see if it would work) and I was then able to use the database and files normally. So that works great, but I'm still not able to delete the original database or the one I recovered last week. Whenever I try, it says (fot both) "The operation cannot be completed because the item is in use". But it's not!!

I also tried Repair Permissions, as well as using Applejack as people below suggested, but neither of those worked. Any help would be great. Thank you!!!

Caitlin 

• 5. Re: "File is Not Modifiable" but I have full access! Help!
                  TSGal

Caitlin:

Thanks for the additional information.

Since you are on a Macintosh, I would try the following steps:

1. Move the database file into your Hard disk directory.

2. Create a new user account.

3. Shut down the computer and restart.  When it asks for you to log in, select the other user account.

4. Drag the file from your hard disk into the trash, and empty the trash.

5. Log out of the user account and log back in to your regular account.

6. Remove the new user account.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: "File is Not Modifiable" but I have full access! Help!
                    caitlin

Thank you so much!!

Also, another quick question. I've been able to clone the database, but am I able to import all of the files I have on the damaged database into the new one? (I have over 1000, so I don't really want to do it manually). Thanks!

• 7. Re: "File is Not Modifiable" but I have full access! Help!
                      TSGal

caitlin:

Yes, you should be able to import the records from the old table into the new table.  Make sure all records are found in the damaged database when you import.  Otherwise, you'll just import the found set.

Pull down the file menu and select "Import Records > File..."  Select the damaged database, map the fields, and the data should import.

If you run into any difficulties, let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.