8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2009 1:29 PM by TSGal

"FileMaker cannot share a file . . ."

wdockery

Title

"FileMaker cannot share a file . . ."

Hello, I have recently begun experimenting with FileMaker network sharing and web publishing using FileMaker Pro 10.  Currently, all Sharing options are "off".  Yet when I open any FileMaker file, I receive an error dialog box:  FileMaker cannot share a file because FileMaker network file sharing is turned off."  Could someone explain where this error is coming from and how to correct it?  Thanks.!

• 1. Re: "FileMaker cannot share a file . . ."
          mrvodka

wdockery wrote:

Currently, all Sharing options are "off".

I dont think that this is correct. UnderThe Network Sharing Settings, the On/Off is just to turn on sharing for the application itself. It does not have to do with the files being "shareable". To turn off sharing for the files, you must turn of Network Access to the file ( no users option ) in the same dialog.

Keep in  mind though that sharing is needed if you intend to share these files in any manner whether its peer to peer or on a server.

• 2. Re: "FileMaker cannot share a file . . ."
            wdockery

Thanks for the reply.  I did have certain files on my system for which "Instant Web Publishing access to files" was either "All users" or "Specify users".  Would that give me the error message even if I had turned off sharing?

Related question:  Do I have to turn on FileMaker Network sharing in order to turn on Instant Web Publishing, or are those sharing methods independent?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: "FileMaker cannot share a file . . ."
              mrvodka
                 No the IWP setting has nothng to do with the Sharing setting for file access....
              • 4. Re: "FileMaker cannot share a file . . ."
                TSGal

wdockery:

Thank you for your posts.

The replies from mr_vodka are correct (Thank you!).  In essence, if you have a file set for sharing, and then turn off Network Sharing, the next time you open that file, you will receive the error message that FileMaker cannot share the file because network sharing is turned off.

Network Sharing is totally separate from Instant Web Publishing.  You do not need to turn on both.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: "FileMaker cannot share a file . . ."
                  DoctorLee

I have attempted to Instant Web Publish the sample file I created during the tutorial.  When I attempt to access the file on the web, I receive a Server Not Responding message.  I am using Port 80 and all defaults.

Any help is mot appreciated. 

Cheers from down under. 

• 6. Re: "FileMaker cannot share a file . . ."
                    TSGal

DoctorLee:

Thank you for your post.

In case there is a port conflict with port 80 (port 80 is used for a number of web interactions), change the port to 591, since port 591 is registered with FileMaker, Inc.  Then, from the local machine, launch a browser and enter:

http://<IP Address>:591

If this works, then try it remotely.  If this doesn't work, then make sure port 591 is not blocked from your machine.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: "FileMaker cannot share a file . . ."
                      DoctorLee

No joy with port 591; settings look like this:

How can I check to see if blocked?  Am leaving it on for you to try and access.

Cheers 

• 8. Re: "FileMaker cannot share a file . . ."
                        TSGal

DoctorLee:

I am unable to see the screen shot.

Are you running on Windows or Mac?  On Mac, make sure your Security -> Firewall settings are set to Allow Incoming Connections.  If this still doesn't work, then check with your Internet Service Provider to make sure you have a static IP Address that can be accessed from a remote location.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.