6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2011 9:19 AM by philmodjunk

"Go to related record" does not work

jebber6685
        • 1. Re: "Go to related record" does not work
          OkcunSahin

Have you tried commit record/request at the end?

• 2. Re: "Go to related record" does not work
            LaRetta_1

How can you possibly expect an answer with absolutely no information, Jebber?  Surprised

• 3. Re: "Go to related record" does not work
              jebber6685

Everyone,

Sorry for the confusion with this post but I do not know how to delete a post once I uploaded it. 

Anyways, I solved my problem with the Go to Related Record but the origin of the problem is what is interesting and confusing to me. 

I had a database of companies call Accounts. I created a clone form this and named that file Emp Prospects. It had all the same fields, etc but a totally different file or so I thougt. 

When I would create a relationship within the Emp Prospect file, it would never show Emp Prospect but the old file that I cloned it from. 

This is what was causing the problems. For whatever reason, cloning the file and the trying to create a new, totally independent file did not work. It was somehow always a part of the old Accounts file. 

Anyways, I deleted the Emp Prospects file and created a new independent file from scratch. All the Go to Related Record buttons now work fine. 

Does anyone have a comment on this? What actually happens when you clone a file ? 

• 4. Re: "Go to related record" does not work
                philmodjunk

Sorry for the confusion with this post but I do not know how to delete a post once I uploaded it.

Click the trash can icon to delete your post. Note that it will also delete all posts following it as well.

What actually happens when you clone a file ?

If you mean choosing Save a copy as, with the clone option, you save an exact copy of your file, but with no records. All relationships, tables, table occurrences, value lists, scripts, layouts and external data source references will be exactly the same as the original file.

I suspect you have a relationship to an external file. Since this uses an external data source reference, your cloned file would refer to the same file as the original.

• 5. Re: "Go to related record" does not work
                  jebber6685

Wow! I never even noticed that little garbage can. Now I know! Thanks.

What interesting is that I could never find the file Emp Prospects when trying to form a relationship. Why is that?

Thanks for all your input. 

• 6. Re: "Go to related record" does not work
                    philmodjunk

I don't know.

Does such a file even exist? (the name of a table and the name of the file where it is defined need not be the same.)

What steps did you take when trying to do this?

Are you familiar with external data sources or is this a new concept?