6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2011 10:59 AM by SteveDorsey

"Layout" view has disappeared while logged in as Admin

SteveDorsey

Title

"Layout" view has disappeared while logged in as Admin

Hello

I think I managed to remove access to the Layout view in my FM database, even when accessing it as an Admin with "Full Access". It's probably a permissions issue, but I don't know how to fix it.

I have 3 accounts; Admin, Guest, and my own (my account has full admin privileges). When I log in as Admin or as my own account, I have the Browse, Find, and Preview modes, but no Layout mode. None of my access settings have any removed menu items.

Also, the "Edit Layout" button in the Status Toolbar is greyed out.

What can I do here? PLEASE let this be an easy fix!

Thanks.

Screen_shot_2011-07-20_at_8.24.37_AM.png

• 1. Re: "Layout" view has disappeared while logged in as Admin
          philmodjunk

With Full Access, you should have access to all FileMaker features, including the ability to enter Layout Mode.

By any chance is there a script that might be running, either in an infinite loop or paused?

Such a script might be performed automatically when the file is opened or with a script trigger set in Layout Setup to perform a script ONLayoutEnter or OnRecordLoad.

If this is the case, try pressing Esc (windows) or Option-Period (Mac) to abort the script. (With a paused script, you may see a continue button in the status area)

Your script may disallow that option if it includes the allow user abort script step. In which case you may need to use FileMaker advanced's script debugger to halt the script. (Open FileMaker, launch debugger, then open the file.)

Also, make sure that the file is really open with a full access password. If you are not being asked for a password when the file opens, a setting in FileOptions may be opening the file with the Guest Password. If that's the case, hold down the option (mac) or shift key (windows) when opening this file to force the file to bring up the password dialog so that you can enter a full access password.

If none of those scenarios fits your situation, you may need to launch FileMaker without opening your file, then use the Recover command in the File menu to recover your file. You can then test the recovered copy to see if it works correctly.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: "Layout" view has disappeared while logged in as Admin
            SteveDorsey

Thanks for the reply.

Well, it's not a script. There's a launch script, but all it does is go to the first record, go to a specific layout, and sort by name. Command-. does nothing to bring back the Layout menu.

Recovering does not fix the issue - even with advanced recovery options. I did it three times, each with no result.

I am opening the file by option-clicking on it. That forces the login screen. the file is set to automatically open in Guest mode if I'm not holding down the Option key.

• 3. Re: "Layout" view has disappeared while logged in as Admin
              philmodjunk

Did you set up any script triggers on the "List View" layout?

Do you have a back up copy of this file?

If so, does the back up show the same behavior? (Can you find a copy that doesn't?)

• 4. Re: "Layout" view has disappeared while logged in as Admin
                SteveDorsey

My previous version of the file does not have this problem. It open normally. Unfortunately, it is a significantly older version of the file. It's sad, really. I'm usually so good about incrementally backing up and working iteratively, but I didn't do that so much in this case. Dammit.

I'm going to keep playing with the recovery.

• 5. Re: "Layout" view has disappeared while logged in as Admin
                  philmodjunk

You may also want to compare the two files to see if you can spot any changes that might be a factor.

Hmmm, have you tried switching layouts and then checked to see if Layout Mode is still unavailable?

Did you set up a custom menu for the "list view" layout that omits Layout Mode from the View menu?

• 6. Re: "Layout" view has disappeared while logged in as Admin
                    SteveDorsey

I was playing around with the different checkboxes in the recovery options along with the permissions (I deleted my additional user account, but I don't know if that made a difference), and the menu option is back again.

I'm very confused as to how I got it back, but I'm about th back this puppy up and make iterations more often from now on.

Strange.

thanks for your help!